Shed temperature control using inkbird(s)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBowie

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As I have now purchased a couple of Inkbird temperature controllers (thanks Ali) I am wanting to use them to try and avoid overly cold temperatures in the shed where my brews will be stored to condition etc.

The plan was to use some sort of greenhouse heater(s) to prevent it getting below conditioning temperature. Do I use 2 inkbirds (the 308) or can I plug an extension in to one inkbird and run two heaters off of the extension?

Thanks.

Hi!
Only me, again. The Inkbird will comfortably handle a 2kW fan heater, especially if you set it on half power. They cost about a tenner, cheaper than the tubular heaters.
I think the main problem is where to place the temperature sensor, whichever heating system you use.

Thanks for getting back. That would solve the next question which was air circulation. I was going to attach an office style fan to cooling, I know it won’t do a great deal but it will at least circulate it. Would one be enough if I part insulate the shed?

Temperature wise I was going to find a way to keep the probe in amongst my bottles and mini kegs, I know it’s nog exact but it’ll be ball park for now until we’ve been there a few years and I can convert the garage.

Hi everyone,

......... to try and avoid overly cold temperatures in the shed where my brews will be stored to condition etc.

I'm wondering what you consider to be "overly cold" for conditioning.

As far as I am concerned, if my garage temperature stays above the freezing temperature for the beer then it isn't "overly cold" for conditioning ... :thumb:

... and many heaters have a "frost" setting that will switch on when the temperature gets down to about one degree celsius. :thumb: :thumb:

I bought this one from Argos it has two settings 1.2KW and 2.4KW (it doesn't mention the 1.2KW setting in the description but it is mentioned in the reviews)

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4151986

Challenge 2.4kW Upright Oscillating Fan Heater

Heat output 2.4kW.

2 heat settings.

Oscilating.

Safety cut out switch.

Frost protection.

Thermostatically controlled.

Cool air blow feature.

Freestanding.

Size H32, W26, D18cm.

Supplied assembled.

4151986_R_Z001A_UC1264893

I'm wondering what you consider to be "overly cold" for conditioning.

As far as I am concerned, if my garage temperature stays above the freezing temperature for the beer then it isn't "overly cold" for conditioning ... :thumb:

... and many heaters have a "frost" setting that will switch on when the temperature gets down to about one degree celsius. :thumb: :thumb:

That’s what I thought, but being as the shed will be out in open I figured if I’m going to try and control it I might as well control it to something a little higher just to make sure. That way I can sleep soundly in the knowledge the beer will be good for another day and not have to bring it inside to drink from.

Back