Sheffield Home Brew Club

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Discordian

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there in the Sheffield area interested in taking part in a home brew club?

A couple of us are planning to meet once a month, in pub that would welcome us, and are scouting for other prospective members.

Meetings would ideally be on Sunday afternoon/evening on the 1st or 2nd week of the month, although midweek could also be a possibility.

Possible venues could be the Sheffield Tap, Shakespeare's, Bath Hotel, Rutland Arms (please feel free to suggest any others with decent beer on tap, preferably within easy reach of the town centre).

Although I'm a beer brewer, plus a few batches of cider, the brew club wouldn't be limited to that. Wine, mead and artisans of other alcoholic beverages would also be most welcome.

Cheers!

Hi, I live in Chesterfield but am really interested, especially if the meetings are central. Have been brewing for years, tried to get a chesterfield group together but lack of interest killed it off. Was attending the Midland Craft brewers meetings but dropped out as it was often too far to travel! Please let me know if this gets off the ground as I'd love to be part of a local network of home brewers.

Hey, also in Sheffield and have been looking if there are any homebrew clubs. Hop hideout used to do one once every other month not sure if it's still going and I have not yet attended it.

I would be interested, possibly got a couple of mates who may be too.

Be prepared for a bunch of novices!

Dicko

Excellent!
A city centre venue would suit me best as I'm travelling from near Crystal Peaks, hence the suggestion for pubs I have made.
I'm definitely no expert when it comes to brewing but I've been pursuing the hobby for 3-4 years now and seeing the popularity of the Manchester brew club made me want to set up something nearer home.

Any preferences for days?

I might prefer mid week rather than weekends but will go with the flow.

I'm happy to go with midweek.
I'll put the idea to a few suitable venues.
My preference is either Shef Tap (plenty of space & has hosted a brew club a few years ago) or Rutland Arms (interesting beer selection).
Shakespeares & Bath Hotel are also possibilities but they are a bit more out of the way.
Any other suggestions for a venue?

Not that it matters much to me but I'd imagine shef tap would be easiest for most? On tram route and train.

I'd be up for this, free pretty much anytime. I'm amazed Sheffield doesn't have something like this already, I was considering starting a meetup.com group myself but work got in the way.

Great, the more the merrier!
Trying to get a meet-up sorted as soon as a suitable (or any) venue gives me the ok.
There are other pubs around Kelham Island or Brewdog (who did used to run a home brew club I believe) I could try but the ones I've mentioned in the 1st post are probably most suitable.
If anyone is going into town anytime soon and fancies popping into those pubs to ask about us meeting there that would be most helpful!

What format do you plan for these meetings?
Are you informing the venues of the reason for the meetings and is this a problem, i.e. we are home brewers and plan to bring our own beer?

I've emailed them and asked them straight up, nicely, if it's ok for us to meet in their pub and bring our own beers to share.
I've also emphasized that we will be drinking plenty of their own ale and, since this will most probably be a midweek meeting, can only serve to increase their custom.
I can't see how, hopefully, this could be a problem as this is how other homebrew clubs work and both the Bath and Shef Tap have hosted a brew club a couple of years ago, before it dropped off to nothing.

As for the format, the monthly meeting would be a forum for us to swap tips, recipes, etc. We'd drink the homebrew we'd brought along and have a few more ales. We might also want to have a monthly challenge to brew a particular style of beer.
Nothing too formal. I think having a forum such as this is superb but there's nothing better for getting inspiration like tasting beer that someone else has brewed!

Sounds spot on to me and the brewing clubs I've been part of in the past have always met in pubs and done member beer tasting as well - no issues and the pubs have provided glasses!

Hopefully I'll get some replies next week, now that things are starting to settle down after xmas.
If not I'll try to pop into town and try have a chat with someone.
I'd like to get a meeting sorted out in the next couple of weeks if possible...

Hi!
Perhaps a meeting without the home brew at first, just to demonstrate to the owners/landlord that you are going to purchase enough ale to make it worthwhile.
If it's in the Sheff Tap, I'm up for a short train journey to get to the meeting.

Hi!
Perhaps a meeting without the home brew at first, just to demonstrate to the owners/landlord that you are going to purchase enough ale to make it worthwhile.
If it's in the Sheff Tap, I'm up for a short train journey to get to the meeting.

This isn't a bad idea. Plus I've not got anything to bring this time round!

Yes, great idea. Although we could also probably bring along a bottle or two (if you have anything) & ask if it's ok when we are there.
I'll still persue asking the pubs (mainly the Shef Tap & Rutland) if it's ok but when is everyone thinking about meeting? Is sometime in the next two weeks (Tue, Wed or Thurs) feasible for people?

Latest posts

Back