shelf life

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshfella

Reaction score
Hi folks I've ordered a replacement cap and co2 bulb kit for my 5 gallon pressure barrel how long will it stay fresh in a fridge if drank gradually and re primed with co2? I've really enjoyed brewing mangrove jacks craft series ales and I'd like to have a few 5 gallon barrels on the go to have a choice but I wanted to check their shelf life before I get too carried away.

If the barrel doesn't leak, split or catch fire (unlikely) the beer will last for months.

Hi folks I've ordered a replacement cap and co2 bulb kit for my 5 gallon pressure barrel how long will it stay fresh in a fridge if drank gradually and re primed with co2? I've really enjoyed brewing mangrove jacks craft series ales and I'd like to have a few 5 gallon barrels on the go to have a choice but I wanted to check their shelf life before I get too carried away.
Before you you get carried away and go out and spend some of your hard earned on 'a few' PBs I suggest you read this first, and perhaps the rest of the thread before making your decision.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...pressure-barrels-pbs.88283/page-5#post-929409

Last edited:
I appreciate the heads up thank you, I was given three barrels and replaced all of the seals none of them drip but co2 does escape and needs to be topped up as mentioned I've ordered a co2 kit to try before I right off plastic barrels. I have however ordered myself a baby sized SS growler with co2 and tap I'm looking forward to trying it and if it's a game changer I can always get additional growlers.

I have yes I've spent a few hours today looking at all the options the corny kegs look very good but they wouldn't suit me personally because I'd like to brew a few 5 gallons at a time and that would cost too much in steel. I'm hoping the mini growler dispenser on order will bridge the gap a little for me as I could dispense from my cold PB in to it and serve it under the correct pressure for that style of beer

I have yes I've spent a few hours today looking at all the options the corny kegs look very good but they wouldn't suit me personally because I'd like to brew a few 5 gallons at a time and that would cost too much in steel. I'm hoping the mini growler dispenser on order will bridge the gap a little for me as I could dispense from my cold PB in to it and serve it under the correct pressure for that style of beer
Have you looked at 5 or 10 litre mini kegs?
I like to brew smaller batches too and have been thinking about building a mini kegerator.

I've tried a few 5ltr party kegs they're okay but you can't prime them as much as a bottle as they literally buckle.

If you search amazon for this you'll see what I've ordered I'm hoping it's a good alternative as you can just swap out the growler for a larger capacity 5ltr or 10ltr it's only £32 with shipping but does come from China they're double that price in the UK. though.
2L Mini Beer Keg Barrel, Stainless Steel Barrel Holds Beer Homebrew Mini Keg Tap Dispenser Portable Kegerator Kit with 2 Class Pressure Gauge

by Caredy

If you search amazon for this you'll see what I've ordered I'm hoping it's a good alternative as you can just swap out the growler for a larger capacity 5ltr or 10ltr it's only £32 with shipping but does come from China they're double that price in the UK. though.
2L Mini Beer Keg Barrel, Stainless Steel Barrel Holds Beer Homebrew Mini Keg Tap Dispenser Portable Kegerator Kit with 2 Class Pressure Gauge

by Caredy

Wow those are crazy cheap! Make sure you get one with the dispense lid as the cheapest ones just have a flat screw in lid.
I'll probably still order from the UK when I make the leap to kegging but I'd be interested to know about the quality on those Chinese ones.

On checking today they've nearly doubled the price so looks like I had a rare deal but I'll let you know about the quality when it arrives there was no mention in the listing about the type of cap supplied but they're not too expensive to buy anyway.. I've been watching video's on youtube where people have adapted very similar systems to run the larger sodastream bottles and strapping them to the side of the growler I think it's great to have this choice.

A little update on what I've been up to...I now have two of my plastic PB fitted with pin valve caps and it does seem to keep the beer fresh making it a good economical way of storing a few 5 gallon batches however the standard taps fitted on the barrels have got to go they're hateful contraptions! I've seen some stainless steel high pressure ones on amazon quite cheap so will give those a go.
I've finally received my mini keg co2 beer dispenser from China it's pretty good build quality in all fairness and it pours a cracking pint at around 8-10 psi I'll get a 5L growler then use it at bbq's etc.. if we have the weather that is.

Back