Sherry-like Flavour.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxidation is the problem gives a sherry/cardboard taste with a brown colour to it which is why it will look like sherry. Looks like the top has not sealed properly and allowed oxygen in hence no carbing too

The sherry like taste is most likely due to oxidation and perhaps in part to the yeast used.
Lack of carbonation would be due to leaky storage in bottles / keg or due to no priming sugar being added.

Darn it, I thought my oxidation days were over.
This is the first time I used 330ml Peroni bottles. I wonder if they are somehow different to my usual bottles.
If it was a bad seal then it's unlikely that all of the bottles are badly sealed. Try another one and if it's the same them look elsewhere for a reason.

Well at least that's good news that the whole batch isn't spoilt. Hopefully some of the peroni bottles are ok, but it'd probably be best to not use them again. I'm not sure how they would be different, but not worth risking another brew.

Not a solution, just an observation:

It's a tragic throw-back to 1960-70s that we still think of sherry flavour as oxidised. Sherry isn't oxidised as such (unless you are unluck), the flavour is usually the result of another yeast (and it did require a bit of oxygen late on) ... but the abominable British "sherry" often was just simply oxidised.

Back