Shocker! Tesco Change Their Mineral Water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it adds sulphate and chloride which might make a specific profile impossible, but that's entirely dependant on the starting profile and how much sulphate/chloride you want. Saying "avoid it like the plague" isn't very helpful in my opinion. Plenty of people use it quite happily, because unlike many of our US based friends, we can be in the UK generally aren't afraid of a higher mineral content.
Yes you can use it, I don't have a problem with anybody using it, but being able to use phosphoric and lactic under taste threshold juts makes things simpler, and they are safer and cheaper acids to keep on hand. In any case, if anybody wants to use CRS they should, it's their party. I've used pure Sulphuric and Hydrochloric to hit a water and mash profile before.

thanks for the suggestion on this, really helpful. In terms of measurements, did you just use enough to get the mash pH down to an appropriate level of c. 5.5? ie that's your main guide for the total addition?
I always had a mash pH target in mind, so I measured my alkalinity (salifert kit) and treated the water with enough Lactic and Phosphoric to hit my desired mash pH. I suggest taking the time to use the free version of Bru'n Water, which once you get the hang of it will have you wondering why you were ever not using it. If you decide to use it and have questions, then I'll be happy to answer them.

RO water filter. I do that now rather than ashbeck. Can dial in any profile, though did also do a pure ro water larger which was crystal clear clean tasting larger. Was lovely.

Forgive my ignorance but is Ashbeck as good as it seems? I currently use Highland Spring for my brews but if there’s something better to use I’m up for it. I only brew ipa’s right now but after reading the forum for a few months now I might try a saison.

Forgive my ignorance but is Ashbeck as good as it seems? I currently use Highland Spring for my brews but if there’s something better to use I’m up for it. I only brew ipa’s right now but after reading the forum for a few months now I might try a saison.
Bit of a slow response, but Ashbeck has a much lower mineral content than Highland, making it more of a 'blank canvas' that helps when creating different water profiles.
acheers.

Latest posts

Back