Shop bought beer in a Swing top bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Can I ask what you ordered ,what it cost, how long from ordering to deliver and what did you think of the beer and the bottles you received.

Don't want much do I !

Thanks,
Mark
If it helps I ordered 24 hacker pschorr muncher hell on Friday and they arrived today at a cost of 55.54 euro about 53 quid

Wow that's dirt cheap, 17.49 for the beer and 15 for the shipping, I'll be saving that link for the next time I'm after more bottles!

The duty will have been paid by the firm, that is why they are so expensive ;)
By expensive, I mean for Germany, I would expect to pay about 50% of what you paid without delivery if buying when out here. Beer is insanely cheap here, although a lot of it is due to massive vertical integration and high consumption of domestic beers.
On the flip side you need to pay tax on any homebrew over 200L per year, if you want to enter a copetition they will usually ask for proof that you have paid tax on your entry (this you have to do even if you brew 1L a year), although it is very very low and you are allowed a large margin of error when submitting the form (something like 10 euros, which means that there are home brewers who e.g. owe 10 euros for a 100L batch but declare 10 cents totally legally). It is insane but does mean that you can have serve home brew legally here to the public.

Hi,

Can I ask what you ordered ,what it cost, how long from ordering to deliver and what did you think of the beer and the bottles you received.

Don't want much do I !

Thanks,
Mark
Hi Mark
No problem, happy to share the full info!
I ordered 24 bottles of Hacker-Pschorr Munchner Dunkel as I prefer the darker styles. (I believe you can mix and match beers provided you order in multiples of 24) My order (placed on the morning of Friday 12th June was delivered by UPS on Tuesday 16th, fortunately all intact.
Cost breakdown as follows:
Beer 24 x Euros 1.40 = Euros 35.28
Delivery = Euros 16.90
Pfand (Deposit) = Euros 3.60
VAT = Euros 8.90
Total = Euros 55.78

The total converted to £ by Paypal =£52.51 or £2.19 per bottle delivered

The beer was fine to my taste, tried one at room temperature and one chilled.........unsurprisingly the chilled one was best.

Wow that's dirt cheap, 17.49 for the beer and 15 for the shipping, I'll be saving that link for the next time I'm after more bottles!
Unless I've misunderstood the shipping appears to be more expensive than that...it's 15 per parcel plus 0.9 per kilo. A 500mL flip-top full of beer is going to weigh about 950g so shipping on 20 of them with the packaging will be about Euros 32. Their website lists the EU countries they ship to and UK isn't on it. (But MagnusTS has ordered so maybe I'm wrong..........

Hi Rocketman,

Thanks for the full answer, quite a deal, are the bottles 330ml or 500ml ?

One idea I have is if you (or anyone else) have a Starling or Revolut account and card you can pay in Euros at MasterCard trans bank rate ( best rate way better than PayPal) with no fees, I use mine abroad and to pay my Austria speeding fines !

Mark

Hi Rocketman,

One idea I have is if you (or anyone else) have a Starling or Revolut account and card you can pay in Euros at MasterCard trans bank rate ( best rate way better than PayPal) with no fees, I use mine abroad and to pay my Austria speeding fines !

Mark
500ml flip-tops
Thanks for the tip on payment
Cheers!

Unless I've misunderstood the shipping appears to be more expensive than that...it's 15 per parcel plus 0.9 per kilo. A 500mL flip-top full of beer is going to weigh about 950g so shipping on 20 of them with the packaging will be about Euros 32. Their website lists the EU countries they ship to and UK isn't on it. (But MagnusTS has ordered so maybe I'm wrong..........

I think this sounds about right. It was a year or so ago, so can't be certain, but the total was about equivalent to some of the other euro beer shops e.g. Belgium in a Box. I'll see if I can dig out the details.

Was ~£19 postage, and ~£21 for 20 flip tops of very tasty Monchshof Country Beer (5.4%), with crate included.

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 17.34.23.png

Last edited:
Hi Rocketman,

Mark
Yes but don't use Revolut when the markets are closed or they charge a fee (eg on weekends).
The Halifax Clarity credit card (mastercard) is great for Euro transactions too as there is no fee and no commission.

Yes but don't use Revolut when the markets are closed or they charge a fee (eg on weekends).
The Halifax Clarity credit card (mastercard) is great for Euro transactions too as there is no fee and no commission.
My favourite is Starling which also gives me unlimited fee free ATM withdrawals world wide that are also at MasterCard exchange rate, but even Revolut at a weekend is cheaper than PayPal's inflated rate.
Starling also gives me instant notification on my phone of how much I've spent in both GBP and the local currency, the phone app will also let me turn on and off the easily cloned magnetic stripe, turn on and off the card itself and a function to only let the card work when it's in the proximity of the phone.
It's a awesome traveling /foreign use card, some features have now been copied by some other banks but as far as I know not all of them.
Starling is my daily card, Revolut is my emergency back up.

Yeah my maths was a bit off, I didnt take into account the total weight.

Also +1 for Starling, I can't believe I didn't think to use that instead of the convenience of PayPal!

I also tried a couple of the beers last night, they did not disappoint. The bottles look decent just need to delabel the empty and they are ready to use

Hello there,
we are quite happy that our service is also used in the UK.
Soon you'll have the possibility to order directly from the website, so you no longer have to write us an annoying email. ;)

I hope that your gov and the EU figure something out so we can still send beer to you without extra taxes. :D

Back