Shop bought juice wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craggsy22

Reaction score
I have made 4 lots of wine with apple juice turned out nice but would like it a bit dryer hydrometer reads. 0.010 then stops fermentation would like to get it 0.990 to see what its like any tips thanks

I have made 4 lots of wine with apple juice turned out nice but would like it a bit dryer hydrometer reads. 0.010 then stops fermentation would like to get it 0.990 to see what its like any tips thanks

How much sugar are you adding?

Also do you add anything else with sugar in?

Which yeast? What temp are you fermenting at? Wine is made from many fruits; if you only use apple, you are making cider!

My wines end at 0.993 to 0.995.

Wine yeast it tastes like a nice wine just would like it a bit dryer to make cider you don't put sugar in

Go on youtube apple wine kid shows you how to make it I'm following it to the rule just would like a bit dryer maybe it can't be done but it's still a nice tasting wine

Craggsy22

If the wine started at 1.085 it hadn't stopped fermenting at 1.010 (you posted 0.010) if you give it time it will get to .990 many of mine did but i usually stopped them at .995 as they were a little on the dry side for us.

Basically you need to give it more time to ferment fully thumb.

Here is a rough guide dry - sweet.

0.990 dry

0.995 medium-dry

1.000 medium

1.005 medium-sweet

1.010 sweet

Thanks so maybe just wait a bit longer good guide I'll keep it for future reference

Sorry I get it to about 1.000 so mine is probably medium it's just to try to see what its like I have one going at the minute at 1.000 i will leave it to see whats happens thanks again

Try adding a little yeast nutrient next time, I find it's a good banker. If it's not needed then nothing lost and when it is, it's there.
If you haven't got any wine nutrient there's other thing you can use such as:
Crushed multi vitamin tablet (vitamin B and zinc being particularly good for the yeast),
Tomato puree,
Marmite.

I make juice wines and cider regularly and they normally get down to dry. (0.992 - 0.996)

I've bought some new yeast with nutrients added as see how that works next time

If it's Young's super wine yeast compound that's what I've used for years and I've never had a wine fail. thumb.

Do you add extra nutrient to this or not bother?
Just wondering if it would work out more cost effective in future

As Kelper says it contains nutrient in so in theory you shouldn't need to add any but my view has always been half a teaspoon extra does no harm and may stop a stuck fermentation so i have always added it.

Young's Super Wine Yeast Compound 60g drum. Specially formulated for High Alcohol. Speedy fermentation and clearing.

Use at the rate of 1tsp per gallon.

Ingredients: Bentonite, Dried Wine Yeast, Diammonium Phosphate, Trace vitamins, Trace Minerals.

Would it be that you're using too much juice? When I've used more than 3litres in a dj it's always been syrupy and too sweet.
Perhaps try long with some soda water so it's not wasted! I wouldn't trust everything you watch on YouTube!

Back