Shopping List For New Winemaker

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColinF

Reaction score
Hey guys, going to be having a go at a few WOW recipes in the next couple of weeks. I've got plenty demijohns, stoppers, airlocks etc. Got a hydrometer and confident using it. I don't have a trial jar though (only done large kit wines in a bucket so just put hydrometer into bucket).

In terms of other bits and pieces, I guess I need:

Yeast
Yeast Nutrient
Pectolase
Bentonite
Stabiliser
Finings
Camden Tablets
Sterilisng Powder

Looking at the features of Youngs Super yeast for example, it says it contains Bentonite and Yeast Nutrient. So if I use the Super yeast, do I also need Bentonite and Nutrient ?

Anything else I've missed ? I live 120 miles from my nearest Homebrew shop (Inverness) and we have reason to be heading South on Monday so going to have a look at shop prices and decide whether to buy there, or order online.

Cheers

Have a look at the two videos in the link below that is all you need -

I always use youngs super wine yeast compound but when i couldn't get hold of it I have never used Bentonite and don't know of any member who does as you are already put finings in your list, BTW get KwiK clear if you can its by far the quickest and best.

I use Milton tablets to sanitise my gear, two tablets to a sink full of water, 15 mins contact time and no rinse..

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/supermarket-juice-wine-how-to-guide-and-recipes.49462/

Last edited:
Have a look at the two videos in the link below that is all you need -
Will do thanks.
I always use youngs super wine yeast compound but when i couldn't get hold of it I have never used Bentonite and don't know of any member who does as you are already put finings in your list, BTW get KwiK clear if you can its by far the quickest and best.
Yeah I was just wondering if by using the Super Yeast, that i wouldn't need separate bentonite or nutrient.

Many thanks

Yeah I was just wondering if by using the Super Yeast, that i wouldn't need separate bentonite or nutrient.
Many thanks

I always added nutrient when using youngs super wine yeast compound (YSWYC) as its cheap and it rules out stuck fermentations i have never added Bentonite to any juice wines when using YSWYC as far as i know its to aid clearing so there is no point if you plan to add finings at the end.

Bentonite is a good general purpose fining agent used by home and commercial winemakers which is easy to prepare and does not adversely affect your wine flavor. It is especially effective in correcting protein instability, and also preventing cloudiness

You may find wilko work out cheaper for smaller quantities if you are anywhere near one. The only problem is their range store to store is completely hit and miss.

You may find wilko work out cheaper for smaller quantities if you are anywhere near one. The only problem is their range store to store is completely hit and miss.
Mmmm maybe not :oops:
Screenshot_20210821-193656_Maps.jpg

You need a siphon for racking and bottling.

I know the shop in Inverness, (Farm and household ) I get all my stuff there.

I prefer to use shops whenever possible.
As when they are forced out of business they are gone and never to return.

You need a siphon for racking and bottling.

I know the shop in Inverness, (Farm and household ) I get all my stuff there.

I prefer to use shops whenever possible.
As when they are forced out of business they are gone and never to return.
That's exactly where I'm going :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back