Should all phone use be banned.

Discussion in 'The Snug' started by Chippy_Tea, Aug 13, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

?

Should mobile phone use while driving be banned?

1. Yes.

2. No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Aug 13, 2019 #41

davidfromUS

davidfromUS

davidfromUS

Regular.

I had a relatively large increase in car driving ability once I started motorcyle riding. I think everybody should take the motorcycle course (32 hours or something like that) even if they never ride again. It's been very helpful to me. It also makes a rider far more aware of how little attention is given to safety protocol by a lot of car drivers.
    I had a headset for a year where I could talk on the phone while riding. Not the best idea I ever had.

Ghillie likes this.
  2. Aug 13, 2019 #42

Ghillie

Ghillie

Ghillie

Landlord. Supporting Member

Fully agree David!

We have what's called the CBT (compulsory basic training) before you can even think about going on the road with a bike. The instructors teach you to be so vigilant ; I was shocked. Gone are the days of looking at a vehicle's indicators to work out their intended direction of travel. Look at their wheels, look at their face. You can even see the colour of their eyes and sometimes lip read the song they're singing along to!

If only Daisy doing her lipstick in the mirror whilst talking to her friend in the backseat would pay as much attention to us!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    davidfromUS, mozza and GerritT like this.
  3. Aug 14, 2019 #43

Rodj

Rodj

Rodj

Totally agree.
    Also, making children in the car whilst driving should be banned - very distracting. It's OK in a car park, though.

4. Aug 14, 2019 #44

GerritT

GerritT

GerritT

Landlord. Supporting Member

Within 15 years private ownership of a car will be very limited and expensive.
    Think Singapore.

5. Aug 14, 2019 #45

simon12

simon12

simon12

Landlord.

I voted no, but i'm not against the law in principle just against the idea of adding more unenforceable ones and as I have said many times in the snug i'm against paying all the people whos job it is to come up with all these ideas.

6. Aug 14, 2019 #46

Rodcx500z

Rodcx500z

Rodcx500z

Landlord.

New graduates have to justifie their existance

7. Aug 15, 2019 #47

Rodj

Rodj

Rodj

Possibly, but I doubt it. Singapore and the UK are different. Singapore is a relatively small island with a relatively big population, and car ownership on the UK scale would create chaos. Also, the government has given it a superb public transport system (at least, the MRT (train) is superb, I've not used the buses). There are places in the UK where the only transport available is a private car (or bike). Certainly I can foresee private car use in cities and other congested areas decreasing through imposed costs or other legislation, but that will be localised, I don't think ownership will become very limited. Maybe we'll all have small electric computer-guided cars in a couple of decades.

8. Aug 15, 2019 #48

foxbat

foxbat

foxbat

Yes. Google 'dashcam upload police'

9. Aug 15, 2019 #49

Crappyfish

Crappyfish

Crappyfish

Yes most definitely. Ever seen someone cornering or queuing whist on a mobile no way can it be safe. Anyway what's so important it can't wait?

Chippy_Tea likes this.
  10. Aug 15, 2019 #50

ITMA

ITMA

ITMA

But the question is really should hands free mobile use when driving be banned? I think the question of hands-on use is pretty well settled.

If it's so distracting to talk on a mobile hands-free that lifes are at risk then we also need to take a serious look at whether listening to the radio or music whilst driving is similarly distracting. It must be - and definitely in the case of those vehicle with massive subwoofers built into the boot.

Trouble with banning things is, when you discover that life still isn't safe, you have to go on and ban something else.

11. Aug 15, 2019 #51

the baron

the baron

the baron

Landlord.

the difference with music playing in the car is that you shut it out when concentrating in difficult driving conditions etc you do not shut out when in conversation on a handsfree as it directs your attention to the issue that the phone call has been made for and hence focus is on that and not the road

12. Aug 15, 2019 #52

davidfromUS

davidfromUS

davidfromUS

Regular.

If I honk briefly at a stupid/dangerous move, more often than not, I get a long beep back and the finger/bird.

13. Aug 15, 2019 #53

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

Beer designer

there's no news that would affect my concentration while driving, apart from - "the beer sheds on fire"