Should everybody have a ID Card

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we have ID cards

• Yes

• No

• Other - post in thread

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ban him chippy and remove his vote that will make the % of the yes vote higher unless he can prove who he is with ID

You already require ID for so much these days so it's a non issue for me. Maybe even a digital ID on a mobile device (as near everyone carries a phone or tablet etc) that could have a barcode of sorts to scan that the "requestor" could verify the person's ID from? . For everyone else maybe a standard national ID card for citizens of any age that could be used where a person does not have a driving licence of pasport.

No I don't want to carry an ID card at all times. There is no legitimate need for it and it would not prevent fraud or theft as credit cards are the most misused items of ID there is. I remember when you stopped signing for things and a pin code was touted as the most secure system. Now they are issuing contactless cards as that is supposed to be more secure. But now we have password devices that automatically sign in for you and phones that you can use instead- but even they are mis-used. I don't want to get to the stage of retinal imaging or a RFID implant just to prove who I am as if that gets cloned I need an operation and a new set of eyeballs!

My kid is having a real problem opening a bank account at the moment because of ID issues. He is 20, and has had a young Scot ID card since he was 16 that has his photo on it, But he doesn't have a driving licence or a passport. The bank wouldn't accept it along with an original birth certificate to open an account with them, even though it is still valid. So we have had to apply for a provisional driving licence - which was easy, and that would satisfy the Bank to open an account. But it is bordering on the ridiculous.
If he was 16 it wouldn't be a problem!

For everyone else maybe a standard national ID card for citizens of any age that could be used where a person does not have a driving licence of pasport.
Here in California they insist you get a driver's license or a state issued ID card to do anything official.

Has everyone forgotten the national ID card scheme introduced by labour in 2006? Repealed by the Tories in 2010. It was a farce and cost so much, but ended up being voluntary for most. NO2ID was a very successful campaign.

It wasn't the card itself that led to the repeal of the national identity scheme. It was the database behind it and the large number of parties that would have access to our most personal details.

It wasn't the card itself that led to the repeal of the national identity scheme. It was the database behind it and the large number of parties that would have access to our most personal details.

But that is true for all kinds of card schemes, and probably even more of "private" business databases than government databases. Do you use a credit card, Mister Cash, Bancontact or Maestro? Do you have cards from retail chains or department stores? They all have databases behind them, and if they are part of the same transnational goods company, what's to stop them from merging all their data on you, or to sell their data?

Do you use a credit card, Mister Cash, Bancontact or Maestro? Do you have cards from retail chains or department stores? They all have databases behind them, and if they are part of the same transnational goods company, what's to stop them from merging all their data on you, or to sell their data?

I have a choice as to if I want to surrender my data and privacy to the schemes you mention. That wouldn't be the case with compulsory ID.

Back