Should I re-pitch yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16195

Reaction score
Hi all

I put on an On The Rocks Mixed Berry Cider at the weekend and I have been having major problems keeping it at the correct temperature - instructions said 18-24° and mine has been at 27-28°. I have been trying to get it down with wet towels, fans etc but I'm not having much joy. Also it hasn't shown any signs of fermenting yet.

My question is - has the yeast died? And if so, should I re-pitch with a more durable yeast?

Or is it too early to be worrying yet?

Cheers :)

Just that it doesn't seem to be doing anything after 3 days.

I put on a Coopers Australian Pale Ale at the same time and that's been very active.

Moss_hops with WOW wines it can be long start, I wait for my wine 4-5 days, thinking that possibly some juice chemicals killed yeast, but it started and fermentatios goes as usual, the best option is not put dry yeast, make them liquid, bit of water, sugar, leave for 1-2 hours, then add to juice. Be patient in after 7 days no signs of fermentation (foam, smell, bubbling etc. ) make some liquid yeast with nutrient and add to it. Good luck

What are you using to judge its not fermenting not all wines ferment the same and not all FV's are 100% airtight, if you are unsure the only way to know for sure is to take a hydrometer reading over a few days, i will be very surprised if it has stalled at this early stage.

I checked this morning and it has started bubbling away like a good-un!

I was just worried that because of the high temperature and the lack of activity that it was dead. All good now - fingers crossed!

:)

Latest posts

Back