Should we stop eating fish and chips?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I broke out in a cold sweat when i read the title of this BBC article. :laugh8:

good-old-fashioned-fish.jpg

Fish and chips is a national institution that has endured for generations - enjoyed by families, end-of-week workers and seaside day-trippers alike.

But this week a restaurant was shut by its owner who was worried about the impact of his business on the environment.

Aatkin Anadkat, owner of Leicester's The Fish and The Chip, was concerned over declining stocks and fish eating plastic particles found in water.

So should we feel uneasy about continuing to chow down on a British culinary classic?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-48928152

Next time you're in the supermarket have a look at the frozen fish....you'll find some strange sounding stuff...river cobbler,"white fish fillets"...mass reared, freshwater Asian/Chinese/far East cat fish. Fed on GM/cheap/dubious origin (?) Pellets and anything else that flows into their pond....plenty of fish for everyone!

Pickled eggs are eggcelent I could eat a full jar. :thumba:

Maybe a slight eggaguration. wink...

I loved the "Plenty more fish in the sea." comment purely on the basis that it is so wrong because:
  1. As a young lad I used to put out a 20 hook set-line on Skegness beach during January and February; and from 20 baited hooks I could get enough cod and haddock to fill my Mum's freezer to keep her Boarding House in fish for the following season. Nowadays there are so few fish available from the beach that Beach Fishing Competitions are regularly won with one small fish!
  2. Many people blame the politicians (both local and EU) for there being so little fish in UK waters so please be aware that:
    • In all my life I have never seen a politician removing fish from the sea! The fish have been removed by fishermen in boats.
    • As early as 1958 we were fighting what became known as "The Cod Wars" with Iceland. We had to go there to catch fish because even back then (over 15 years before we entered the EU) we were over-fishing the seas around the UK.
    • In the late 1950's the UK "Herring Fleet" sailed for the last time because we had virtually removed the herring.
    • There used to be a "Big-Game Fishing" business that took people out into the North Sea from Scarborough in Yorkshire. The tunny that the rich people used to fish for disappeared at the same time as the herring.
It may have become "fashionable" to worry about the environment and the impact that plastic is having on our lives, but looking back at the UK's performance in this area, we are way past the time when we should be doing something about it.

I loved the attitude of the little Swedish lass who was speaking at the "Extinction" Rally. Her attitude was ...

"Why should I go to school? I probably won't have a job to go to
and I may not even have a planet to live on.
"

... which just about summed up what is wrong with todays world.

What did our government do? They arrested people for disrupting the lives of the people who are intent on the destruction of the world as we know it!

I thank the Lord that I will be dead and buried before the sh1t hits the fan!

PS

I recently read an article about the main problem facing the very rich and influential people who are in the process of trying to protect themselves against the "Armageddon", if it ever arrives.

The problem is "How do we pay the people who will protect us when we go into our 'bunker'?"

Think about it. Security Guards are some of the lowest paid people on the planet, but if "Armageddon" ever arrives, then any Security Guard worth his salt will shoot his employer and move his own family into the "bunker"!

Love it! athumb.. athumb.. athumb..

I may have this wrong but I am sure I read fifty percent of all our land is farmed to feed the animals we eat so there is plenty of land that could feed us we just need to get used to the idea in the future people will not be eating animals as they do now.

I may have this wrong but I am sure I read fifty percent of all our land is farmed to feed the animals we eat so there is plenty of land that could feed us we just need to get used to the idea in the future people will not be eating animals as they do now.

Yeah but the manure needs to come from somewhere to grow the crops.
Anyhoo, if people would stick to 75 grams of meat per day, and a portion of fish a week, a lot of problems would already be lessened.

Good point. I fully agree...I'm nights tonight...the car is already loaded with fishing gear. I'm going straight off shift and stopping til Wednesday.

The trouble is, it's not only fish which are vanishing. We're in the start (yes, start - we haven't even reached the middle yet) of a major mass extinction, the ultimate cause of which is the grossly excessive human population. (Oh god, how I hate agreeing with Gunge about something.)
We know what measures need to be taken to bring the ME to an end, which we must do if Homo sapiens is to survive in some form. I've spent several years of my life developing a project to produce the funds necessary to enable implementation of those measures. The amount needed is estimated at US$600 thousand million, though if Hs survives and I could view the next century from the more distant future, I would not be in the least surprised to learn that twice that amount or maybe 10 times that amount had been needed. The aim of the project is to develop a way to produce the required funds over the next 70 to 100 years or so and use them to implement the measures.
Now, to the point: I have sent many letters and comprehensive documents about this project to politicians, businessmen and scientists, in the UK and scattered around the rest of the world, requesting administrative, financial (seed money, not the whole lot: £1m would be ample), and intellectual support. The letters to politicians produced minimal response, and those few who did respond were essentially not interested. In short, any costs would happen during their tenure, whereas any benefit would happen after their tenure, so they couldn't give a stuff. Viva Guy Fawkes. The letters to businessmen produced no response: all were ignored. The highest response came from scientists, with offers of help and support. In essence the people with the intellect to understand what is happening are willing to sacrifice their time (i.e. part of their lives) to try to do something about it; the people with the power and ability to do something about it couldn't give a stuff because of the impact on their personal careers or personal wealth.
This, I think, is a principal reason why Hs does not have much of a future. It is also one of the major reasons why I think democracy is not such a good idea; I'd much prefer an efficient, effective, benevolent dictatorship. I'd volunteer for the position myself, but I'd have to give up brewing/fishing/SWMBO to fit it in.

Latest posts

Back