Shouldi stir?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASK

Reaction score
Tried to pimp-up a coppers Dark Ale kit with oats yesterday.
'mashed' 0.5kg of porridge oats and added to the FV plus kit, 0.5kg of sugar & 680g of golden syrup.
Fermenting well, but looks to be a thick layer of 'glue' in the base of the FV which i believe could be the oats wort.
Should i stir or do anything?
Thought the oat wort was going to mix in, but dont seem to have done. Any advice greatfully received.

You used some barley with the mash, correct? You need the enzymes from the barley to convert the oat starch to sugar.

Ooops, just used oats, just simmeted for an hour, nothing else in there so guess i have 23l of beer glue then....time for the flowerbed with the lot then?

If the oats have settled out I dont think it'll be an issue. You boiled them so there wont be anything nasty in there.

I'd let it ride and see what happens.

If the oats have settled out I dont think it'll be an issue. You boiled them so there wont be anything nasty in there.

I'd let it ride and see what happens.
[/QUOTE]

Well lets call it an experiment then.....fermenting very well, alot of airlock activity so will see what it tastes like in a few weeks...

500g of oats is quite a lot of oats! If you are lucky the bulk of the oats will settle but you will probably end up with a starch haze. Not sure if finings would floc the starch, others may be able to help there.

So will be racking off primary on Friday & starting a new can kit brew where i want to add oats again.

Since 1st oat attempt looks to just have produced wallpaper glue in the base of the fv, alot to do with too much oats and no barley to cut it with enzymes, what weight of oats and barley should i steep\mash this time?

What is a good ratio of barley to oats? 50g barley to 100g oats? 50\150? Let me have your experience\guidance please gentlemen. (Will be going into a coopers devils half porter😁)

Latest posts

Back