Show us you internet speed.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As the title says show us you speed test results, if you could use the test below (which i like as its not from an ISP) it will gives us some idea how ISP's are performing, there is no need to add your postcode it will run without it.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

This is my result i am with TalkTalk on FTTC @ £25 per month.

Could members post how they took the test (see post #7) as it does make a difference to the results, mine was wired.

I get roughly 45 Mbps using Wi-Fi.

ssss.jpg

Last edited:
err, this looks familiar...except with more flashy images

I didn't want to hijack the thread to ask for test results as it was already 33 posts in, the problem as i and many have found is ISP's own tests can exaggerate the results (to put it mildly) the TBB one has nothig to prove and does three tests giving a reliable result.

understandable.
i run my own speed test server.
means that my data remains mine and the results can't be coloured by anyone.
doesn't have all the bells and whistles but the required data is there
2020-12-22 18_00_00.png

connection is under moderate load at the moment.

How are you running the test?
Wi-Fi or hardwired?

Good point Leon mine was wired and i got 75 Mbps i get around 45 Mbps using Wi-Fi, i will edit the OP to ask members to post which they were using.

Last edited:
What's a ping and a jitter?

When Are Ping and Jitter Important?
Ping and jitter are most important during streaming media usage like video streaming, online gaming, or voice over internet (VoIP). Web browsing isn’t very affected by response times and the variation therein, but if you need real-time data, ping and jitter are important measures of your connection quality.

What is Ping?
Ping is a measure of the reaction time of your connection. In other words, how quickly you receive a response when a request is made. Ping is measured in milliseconds (ms) and the lower the ping number, the faster your connection. Ping is important during real-time application use like video streaming or online gaming.

What is Jitter?
Jitter is the variation between response times. Good connections have a reliable and consistent response time, which is represented as a lower jitter score. The higher the jitter score, the more inconsistent connection response times are, which manifests in choppy voice calls or glitchy-sounding looking video quality.

https://www.fusionconnect.com/speed...itter are measures,voice over internet (VoIP).

I know mine is slower than it should be I checked the other day.

We have Fibre and it was running at around 45mb but now it is more like 15.

I've not had time to fully investigate yet and I work with computers for a living so I know it's not right.

Will diagnose over Christmas but am looking at changing the whole thing late next year maybe move everything to Virgin.

I know ball-all about such stuff but I wouldn't go to Virgin after the fiasco the mother in law's had with her's...
She had phone and fibre...it all stopped working so she could only contact them on her pay as you go mobile..which cost a fortune and is no good for technophobe old fogies...she played holy hell with them and got some sort of compensation..

I'm not doing anything until we are all vaccinated anyway. Putting quite a few jobs and home improvements off for a year.

Didn't put in a postcode or provider. It seems to vary a bit. Superfast 2 Plan, which I thought was supposed to be a bit faster than that:

19.6/7.6
27.1/7.7
34.8/8.2
33.1/8.3
33.1/7.6
30.8/7.7.

The last result:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 52
Not bad for a 350mbs service