Show us your beer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
full square.jpg

Taking liberty with showing the homemade pizza (called "Detroit Style"). But, beer and pizza do go together.
Quadrupel 10.05.18.jpg

This my hb, a Belgian Quadrupel. I made two, pretty similar versions. It's quite smooth, maybe too smooth: you can't tell that there's alcohol in it yet it's somewhere above 11%ABV. My "dainty" Tripels are either 9.3% or 9.7% ABV.
Cheers, all.
Watching me Lions get tamed.

not my beer but a forumites arrived yesterday... an extra stout and an OKT? athumb..- help - my mrs disposed of the box, so no idea who sent it, :eek: or i did have but cant find a conversation :-(

My Lager attempt is far too bitter... I need some advice as to how to fix this for next time.

I always pitch lots of yeast, hold the temps and keep the IBU below 30. You have to hold back on the hops as well. A SMASH is a great way to explore lagers. Took me a while to get anything drinkable. Feel free to message me if you want any recipes.

Rice Lager. Noble hops, have to brew this again asap. The rice gives the beer a crisper feel without adding much flavour.
BeerCat, how did you brew the rice lager?

A story: A few years ago I had a bit of a walkabout in a town on the SW coast of China. It was hot (mid 30s). I arrived at a place on the town outskirts where they were building some blocks of flats. The ground floor of the main block was to be shops; all were unoccupied except the end one which was a general grocery and had been opened, presumably to serve the workforce. The area was almost deserted, so I went into the shop wherein was a young lady behind the counter, breast-feeding her baby (no-one else around). Anyway, after a few polite words I got a bottle of beer from the ‘fridge and she was good enough to open it for me (I think it was Snow, which is a favourite, about 35p for 600ml ... they’ve certainly got something right over there). Then I went outside and sat on the grass under the shade of a tree and drank it. It was very refreshing, but when I started my walkabout again the refreshingness did not wear off. English bitter or European lager would have refreshed, but the effect would have worn off in 20 minutes leaving me wanting another drink. I still felt totally refreshed from the Snow an hour later.

This has left a lasting impression, in particular I’d like to brew my own Chinese-style beer containing rice. The only really comparable western beer is Budweiser. However I did a bit of research and found that you need a special yeast, as rice will not ferment with the usual yeasts that we use. The yeast for rice beer is available, but only in commercial quantities, i.e. an awful lot and far too expensive. Hence my question; how did you brew it, and what yeast did you use? More info, please! Thanks.

This has left a lasting impression, in particular I’d like to brew my own Chinese-style beer containing rice. The only really comparable western beer is Budweiser.

It depends on whether you are describing a beer made mainly by fermenting rice or whether it's a beer that uses rice as an adjunct. Greg Hughes has a recipe for rice lager that has rice as an adjunct which I assume will produce something akin to Asahi Super Dry.

Lol, no problem. I have never drunk Chinese beer but i have had my fare share of Japanese.
Will post the recipe.
It depends on whether you are describing a beer made mainly by fermenting rice or whether it's a beer that uses rice as an adjunct. Greg Hughes has a recipe for rice lager that has rice as an adjunct which I assume will produce something akin to Asahi Super Dry.
BeerCat: Thanks. I'm ignorant about Japanese beer (only had it twice, I think, long ago in UK/USA Jap restaurants so I don't even know whether it was the genuine stuff), but I've had a reasonable amount of Chinese beer, which is light and refreshing. I'll add an interesting pic.
Bezza: Good and interesting point. I don't know. I'll do a bit of enquiring and try to find out. Do you know where/how I can get Greg Hughes' recipe?
Thanks both.
120125 'BeerFactory' near bird&flowermarket 8c6c.jpg

BeerCat: Thanks. I'm ignorant about Japanese beer (only had it twice, I think, long ago in UK/USA Jap restaurants so I don't even know whether it was the genuine stuff), but I've had a reasonable amount of Chinese beer, which is light and refreshing. I'll add an interesting pic.
Bezza: Good and interesting point. I don't know. I'll do a bit of enquiring and try to find out. Do you know where/how I can get Greg Hughes' recipe?
Thanks both.
View attachment 16707

Interesting , ive just come back from a business trip to china, in one city not very cosmopolitan at all (we were the only western people) it was easier to buy corona or Bud than Chinese beer !!!!

Interesting , ive just come back from a business trip to china, in one city not very cosmopolitan at all (we were the only western people) it was easier to buy corona or Bud than Chinese beer !!!!
Which city? Being the only westerners is not unusual in my experience. The pic showing the "Beer Factory" was taken in Kunming in January a few years ago. That visit the only westerners I saw were a couple of chaps (I think from Nottingham) who were working on the new underground system. In the town where I had my walkabout on the SW coast I saw no non-Chinese at all, and I was there for a couple of months. However, both have many places (shops and bars) well-stocked with Chinese beer and baijiu. Shops are much cheaper than bars, but it's the same here, and even the bar prices are cheap compared with UK pubs.

Tapped my take on GW's take on Pendles Witch - of course it needs a lot longer but in the meantime what a classic Lancashire bitter - cask carbonation, flipping amazing.
20181210_223642.jpg

See you are from Ormskirk - 25 years in London but still miss my trips over the moss to the Saracens head from ainsdale.
I live about 600 yards from The Saracens Head. It's full of Chelsea tractors nowadays, not as good as it used to be.
Funnily enough I like going the other way across the moss to the Freshfield Hotel. Still has good food and a nice choice of real ales.

Single Hop (Centennial) IPA, my second ever AG brew, tasting pretty good but only been in the bottle a couple of weeks.

Hopefully will gradually clear as it's a little hazy (if I don't drink it all before then!) :beer1:

IMG_20181215_190950388_orig.jpg

Latest posts

Back