Show us your beer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My redneck close system transfer lol
IMG_20190227_174912.jpg

View attachment 18064
Kendoon Four B (Bill's Bitter Brown Beer)
A sort of best bitter/brown ale/IPA hybridy thingy. 41 IBU, brewed with pale malt, CaraRed and some roast barley. Flavour hop Fuggle. Dry hopped with Citra and Motueka. 4.1% ABV.
Turned out very tasty!
Shown with a 24 LED torch behind it.
This sounds right up my street. Would you care to share your recipe?

IMG_20190227_213240.jpg
my GH ESB ...too fizzy but that's an intention...I increased the priming sugar...just to see...I should not have! Anyhow it's not bad at all.
Sorry about the **** picture...see my jack Russell blanket and red ball....mucky pup!

My Transatlantic bitter.
It's coming good slowly. Brewed 7/1, put in PB 19/1.

MO, Crystal, a dash of Special B, and rolled oats, with Challenger, Summit, EKG and Fuggles hops.

A slightly underpitched 3rd generation MJ Liberty Bell gives a pleasant fruity finish.

Attachments

• rps20190227_215231.jpg
    rps20190227_215231.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 207
This sounds right up my street. Would you care to share your recipe?
Yep, certainly. hopefully a pdf attached.
Caveats, though. I'm a no-chill brewer so the hot steep hops are a bit notional. Also, for this one, I decided to steep the caramelised/roasted hops instead of adding them to the mash, as I would normally do. I suspect this resulted in a slightly "lighter" brew than had I mashed everything together.
Anyway, it's not likely to be quite the same next time I brew it - virtually nothing is!

Attachments

• Kendoon Four B.pdf
    28.7 KB · Views: 237
2834384B-9C16-4633-A89D-50B7B616FCEB.jpeg
Irish red ale. Basically Greg Hughes but swapped the late addition to Mosaic and adde more mosaic at flameout. Also some sweet orange rind added. Tastes great, just needs another week to clear.

@Hoppyland thanks for the recipe.
There is so much about this brew that shouldn't fit together, yet it compels me to try it (or something similar).

I totally get the clean Edinburgh yeast with piney warrior and roasted maltiness.
But then a hefty dose of minty earthy Fuggles, matched with lemon and lime sounds amazing against that malty backdrop.

I might have to make up an experimental batch to try the Fuggles and citra combo. Will probably substitute cascade for the motueka as I have some in stock.

Thanks

IMG_20190302_103111.jpg

Not carbed yet but best looking beer I've made. Might enter it into the Freestyle

Last edited:
@Hoppyland thanks for the recipe.
There is so much about this brew that shouldn't fit together, yet it compels me to try it (or something similar).
Well, I often use a combination of old and new world hops. Maybe my palate is a little odd, but I find that a combination of fruity + citrussy + earthy works well for me and adds a tasty complexity. I do suspect, though, that the old world/"noble" hops might be best as flavour/background, with the more citrus flavours as dry hop/aroma.
I'm struggling at the moment to develop a "Munich Pale Ale" that I envisaged. Here, I'm trying about 70% pale malt, 20% Munich and 10% CaraGold. Hopping ( for 20l) is, for the latest version: Boil, 10g Warrior for 60min; Hot Steep, 50g Lemondrop plus 20g EKG; Dry hop 33g EKG. No piccies yet as not yet fully cleared (so not complying with the thread title just at the moment).
I've varied this a few times now - it takes ages to mature into a decent beer (although only 4.3% ABV). I've tried combinations of Ahtanum, Centennial and Mosaic with the EKG dry hop. Also Pioneer. But it doesn't seem to get to where I want to go & I suspect that the totally "noble" dry hopping is the problem.

I'm struggling at the moment to develop a "Munich Pale Ale" that I envisaged. Here, I'm trying about 70% pale malt, 20% Munich and 10% CaraGold. Hopping ( for 20l) is, for the latest version: Boil, 10g Warrior for 60min; Hot Steep, 50g Lemondrop plus 20g EKG; Dry hop 33g EKG. No piccies yet as not yet fully cleared (so not complying with the thread title just at the moment).
I've varied this a few times now - it takes ages to mature into a decent beer (although only 4.3% ABV).
Funny you mention conditioning times, I added 20% Munich to my bitter recipe and it seemed to take an extra 4 - 6 weeks to really hit is stride. I like your hop blend idea, I don't often like US hops as they feel over some and unbalanced, as an accent over British or noble they could work well. Hobgoblin does similar with about 20% of the whirlpool hops being cascade, from memory the rest is fuggles and Styrian Goldings.

A bit early in the day maybe, but cooking, so poured my wife and myself a bottle each of Ponder's Paradise Porter. Nice ruby brown porter, hopped with Citra and dry hopped with a bit of Mosaic, giving it a nice background of mocha, but a lovely fruity flavour in the foreground.

IMG_20190308_122516.jpg

A Ron Pattinson recipe - 1928 Barclay Perkins IPA. Been carbing up in the bottle now for 2 weeks, so crashed some in the fridge.

It's ace. Yum yum yum. It's also very strong as the MJ New World Strong yeast munched it's way to 1006, but gosh, it's drinkable. Yum yum....

IMG_20190309_133105380.jpg
Pint of my pale ale next to the morning's efforts. A mate wanted to see all grain brewing and challenged me to clone Orkney Corncrake so we'll see how it's worked out in a few weeks.

Did you bitter it with galaxy too? If so how did you find it?
Being totally honest mate, I must have.
I was determined to use only a single hop, I was a bit tipsy when brewing, I’m sure there was none at the start of the boil but I think I dumped in 30g at the end then started cooling 10-15 mins then pitched yeast, a dry hop of 70g and it’s a decent drink.
Sorry for the shoddy details

Being totally honest mate, I must have.
I was determined to use only a single hop, I was a bit tipsy when brewing, I’m sure there was none at the start of the boil but I think I dumped in 30g at the end then started cooling 10-15 mins then pitched yeast, a dry hop of 70g and it’s a decent drink.
Sorry for the shoddy details
:laugh8: At least you're honest. That's probably a good way to use galaxy, when I made a galaxy pale ale it seemed way more bitter than the 30-something IBUs would suggest, turns out it's quite a harsh bittering hop. I made a NEIPA-ish thing as one of my stove top test batches, it got equal amounts of galaxy, cascade and amarillo at 20, 15, 10, 5 and 0 min without a proper "bittering" addition, calcuated at 60 IBUs but was super smooth and tasty, but then it did finish at 1.020 (only 4% I think) so maybe that balanced it out.

Latest posts

Back