Show us your beer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@EddtheBrew it was the graham wheeler extract version. I cocked up though as used extra light dme and then in wrong quantities as different deliveries from HBS were packaged up in different size bags. Realised the OG was far too low and then as an extreme novice stuck in some boiled up sugar as a last resort. As recipe already uses sugar its very dry but actually served nicely chilled its quite refreshing whilst gardening. No head retention at all but with a syringe you can turn it into a nice creamy pint. The rest of its not gone down sink yet...

Really happy with how it's turned out: Jet Black Heart batch using the DIY DOG recipe. Loads of chocolatey bitterness flavours with a smooth mouthfeel from the oats.

Attachments

• 20180624_201521.jpg
    20180624_201521.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 112
10 days in the bottle, Oatmeal Extra Pale Ale (from James Morton's book), using Vermont ale yeast. Very happy with this. Solely Amarillo and Citra hops. Good combo and nice haze from the oats.
IMG_20180628_195625633.jpg

Many years ago I would make the odd demijohn of wine and work up 40 pints from an extract beer kit.
All my gear from those days is gone and I've had to restart from scratch, arriving here after the inevitable Google searches.
So...

Here is my very first all grain brew. Many thanks to all who contributed on Clibit's 'Have a go at simple AG', which got me started. I recommend that thread wholeheartedly.

o7dKoKP.jpg

My Recipe:

1kg Maris Otter
80g Crystal Malt
12g Goldings hops -boil 55 min
1g Goldings hops -boil 5 min
3g dried Wilko English Ale yeast
A quantity of Water.

OG 1047
FG 1004
ABV 5.64%

For the whole story see:
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/have-a-go-at-simple-ag.51779/

It came out similar to a Best Bitter. I like the result. I'm proud of it.
It is encouraging and that's good enough for me.

ZfWxJQ3.jpg

The label is home made, printed on ordinary paper with a deskjet printer. It was stuck on with a very thin film of semi-skimmed milk appled to the back of the label.

I'm pleasantly surprised with this yeast that it doesn't lift and make a rush for the glass on pouring, yet a few swills of the bottle at the tap clear the sediment completely.

I don't have a lot of kit. Just a couple of steel stockpots from Wilkos, a few demijohns, a brewing bag, a home made chilling coil and the usual bits and pieces, like flip top bottles, hydrometer, thermometer, syphon tube etc.

Right now, I've got a Brown Ale in the demijohn, needing another week before bottling time. That will be brew number Two.

I've also got plans for the next brew, number Three - my version of a Scottish 70/- 'Heavy', which has been woefully replaced nowadays in Scottish bars with foreign fluids.

Last edited:
10 days in the bottle, ...............

.......... Good combo and nice haze from the oats. View attachment 14245

Ten days? :?:

That photo very much reminded me of the man who (many, many years ago) complained about being served cloudy beer.

The Barman's response was "What do you expect for two-bob, thunder and lightning?"

I reckon that if you give it another two months in the bottle it will clear beautifully; but in this weather I can't see it lasting that long! :thumb:

Many years ago I would make the odd demijohn of wine and work up 40 pints from an extract beer kit.
All my gear from those days is gone and I've had to restart from scratch, arriving here after the inevitable Google searches.
So...

Here is my very first all grain brew. Many thanks to all who contributed on Clibit's 'Have a go at simple AG', which got me started. I recommend that thread wholeheartedly.

o7dKoKP.jpg

My Recipe:

1kg Maris Otter
80g Crystal Malt
A quantity of Water.

OG 1047
FG 1004
ABV 5.64%

For the whole story see:

ZfWxJQ3.jpg

The label is home made, printed on ordinary paper with a deskjet printer. It was stuck on with a very thin film of semi-skimmed milk appled to the back of the label.

I'm pleasantly surprised with this yeast that it doesn't lift and make a rush for the glass on pouring, yet a few swills of the bottle at the tap clear the sediment completely.

I don't have a lot of kit. Just a couple of steel stockpots from Wilkos, a few demijohns, a brewing bag, a home made chilling coil and the usual bits and pieces, like flip top bottles, hydrometer, thermometer, syphon tube etc.

Right now, I've got a Brown Ale in the demijohn, needing another week before bottling time. That will be brew number Two.

I've also got plans for the next brew, number Three - my version of a Scottish 70/- 'Heavy', which has been woefully replaced nowadays in Scottish bars with foreign fluids.
Hi John Barleycorn,
I've got 2 different recipies for Archibald Arroll's 60/- Pale Ale from 1916 if you're interested?,
Cheers
Edd

Ten days? :?:

That photo very much reminded me of the man who (many, many years ago) complained about being served cloudy beer.

The Barman's response was "What do you expect for two-bob, thunder and lightning?"

I reckon that if you give it another two months in the bottle it will clear beautifully; but in this weather I can't see it lasting that long! :thumb:
Lol it won't last that long I can assure you.

Tbh I'm not bothered anymore about clear beer (although I knew this one would be hazy). I recently gave a fairly murky IPA to my mate and his wife and they both loved it.

So...

o7dKoKP.jpg

My Recipe:

1kg Maris Otter
80g Crystal Malt
A quantity of Water.

OG 1047
FG 1004
ABV 5.64%

For the whole story see:

ZfWxJQ3.jpg

That looks a real good pint. Good head on it too.

3F2E17F8-5A4E-47EB-BB1F-173B4304EE65.jpeg
Weather has picked up today. I appear to have over-primed my minikeg of Kolsch though:

I nursed one of these for the evening while waiting to go and pick the wife up from a jack Saveretti concert.

Blooming great it was too at a heady 2.8%
IMG_6673.JPG

Oh yes I was brewing as well [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got visitors so a bottle of ...
  • Robust Porter (delicious but quite active in the glass).
  • Maris Otter with Citra SMASH (perfect pint to help the BBQ along).
  • Premium Bitter (a great way to round off the evening).
Now all I have to do is to add up the Kcals, explain to SWMBO exactly why drinking these three brews was a "Good Idea" and explain why I finished the evening off with a couple of whiskies ... :thumb:

... but it ain't going to be easy! :hat:

Nite nite!

PS
The garage was at 26*C this evening!! Highest yet seen. Bugger! :no::no:

Got visitors so a bottle of ...
  • Robust Porter (delicious but quite active in the glass).
  • Maris Otter with Citra SMASH (perfect pint to help the BBQ along).
  • Premium Bitter (a great way to round off the evening).
Now all I have to do is to add up the Kcals, explain to SWMBO exactly why drinking these three brews was a "Good Idea" and explain why I finished the evening off with a couple of whiskies ... :thumb:

... but it ain't going to be easy! :hat:

Nite nite!

PS
The garage was at 26*C this evening!! Highest yet seen. Bugger! :no::no:

Can I move in please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back