Show us your guitar(s)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have caved in and picked up another one - I used to have one of these and have always regretted selling it. It's a Squier but it had the most punky punch I've ever played. It's odd looking but I can't wait for it to arrive if it sounds like the old one I'll play it as much as any of my others.

0377015583_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Spent the last few weeks putting this together. Was a lot of time dying and sanding it laquring over the decal etc but I'm happy with it. The tuners have to be replaced later on but it sounds just like a proper Tele to me it's a great sound. Kit only cost 66 quid. Went for the aged Francis Rossi kind of look.
Screenshot_2.jpg

Spent the last few weeks putting this together. Was a lot of time dying and sanding it laquring over the decal etc but I'm happy with it. The tuners have to be replaced later on but it sounds just like a proper Tele to me it's a great sound. Kit only cost 66 quid. Went for the aged Francis Rossi kind of look.
View attachment 60587
Nice work cat. Glad it turned out well.
I did a PRS style kit a few years back, spent ages on it. when finished, it seemed like a kids guitar or a 3quarter size. I was gutted and felt ripped off. Swapped it for a practice amp tho, so ended up ok and enjoyed fettling and finishing the guitar. Has it got the tele twang?

Nice work cat. Glad it turned out well.
I did a PRS style kit a few years back, spent ages on it. when finished, it seemed like a kids guitar or a 3quarter size. I was gutted and felt ripped off. Swapped it for a practice amp tho, so ended up ok and enjoyed fettling and finishing the guitar. Has it got the tele twang?
Yep I was quite amazed when I heard it the first time I couldn't believe how good it sounded for such a cheap bit of kit. Gonna order some tuners soon and relearn how to string properly it's been so long since I used tuners like these.

Am chuffed with it and if it picks up knocks and scratches then all the better.

Here is the final thing. It now has better tuners which absoutely had to be done and new Irongear pickups. Very happy with it.

telecaster.jpg

I've just ordered a Les Paul kit I am gonna try and make resemble something like this:

aw.jpg

Gonna be a lot of work and take a lot of patience but I couldn't stop at only one after buying the tools I needed etc. Will solder it all myself as well so it's going to be very interesting.

I've never had anything particularly great or expensive, but these are the guitars I currently have (I can't be arsed going up to take photos so I've ripped these from Google :D)

Schecter Omen 6, a much better guitar than its price tag would suggest. Really nice guitar to play.
rPgATOM.jpg

A Dean Razorback which I bought when I was young, single, stupid, and a massive Pantera fan.
RthsEtt.jpg

And my most recent, an Ibanez RG8. Cheap and quite poorly built, but I really wanted an 8 string, and the neck is actually really great to play, and I've swapped the bridge pickup for a Dimarzio D Activator which makes a huge difference.
hWVL5DZ.jpg
That Dean looks sick xD

I've no pics of mine as my phone is new and my pooter is old so ya know the old usb 2 and 3 etc - in short, the computer doesn't see the phone.

So I luthier all my guitars as stock guitars always tend to have imperfections and any guitarist will tell you, even on the most expensive ones. There's always something that the guitarist is not happy with so I'll list mine.

8 string Gear4music electric. Locking tuners fitted (no brand name and they don't need a brand name all it requires is they work) Floyd rose locking nut, Seymour duncan invader and nazgul pickups. Set up done by me. Nice guitar once you have the set up right and those pick ups kick ass.

Glarry Elvis style Black acoustic. Yep, Cheap guitar but not nasty. Mods - Fishman pre-amp and piezo routed in and fitted by me. Set up done as best I could. The problem here is at the bridge - the saddle is just too high. Shaving down the bridge can only get so low once the pick up has been installed and the piezo wire has been routed under the bridge itself. So the action is a little high at the body end of the guitar. Brass nut. Gold plated locking tuners. Nice tone to it, but not sure what style to use this for as I am with mind to buy more acoustics in the future. Guitar was bought for like £40. Mods were like £60 plus the set up saving. To me it's worth £450 and I aint selling it so its value is what I say it is :p Might yank out the fret wire on the neck at a later stage and go stainless steel frets but I am not pressed to do that right now.

Rockston Fender style electric. Bought from ebay for as little as £75. Wilkinson locking tuners which are great! Wilkinson single coil pick ups - I am very pleased with these - excellent sound! Well, this guitar was a bargain. All I had to do to this baby was just level the frets, sort out the intonation and boom we are away. Sadly the dood that sold it put some Fender Decals on it to say it's a strat but it's only a very obvious sticker that any idiot can see the fakery. Like I said, absolute bargain!

Project : Yamaha erg 121c. This thing has been a bug bear to me. There's always been something getting in the way of this baby getting the true love it deserves. It's a project. So installed rn are floyd rose locking nut. Locking tuners. Frets are levelled. The hole for the floyd rose whammy bridge has been routed in but that's about as far as I have got because there's always some new homebrew kit/gear I want or need or something else gets in the way. Plan is to buy some boutique guitar fetish active pick ups from guitarfetish.com. Take out old pick ups and solder in a switchcraft jack socket in there. Redo paint for where the router has eaten its way through for the bridge.

This guitar had many faults in the beginning. Bought for like £30 from over the water. I am hoping to finish it this year and then onto the next guitar project. A great guitar though for a new luthier to have at it as if you mess up you can tend to buy these cheap on ebay etc - not a great guitar as stock and the stock pick ups are dull and just awful. She's gonna be a beaut though once I am done with her ;)

Vox mini amp - blues style. Aye, nice!
Metal mini amp (can't remember brand name off the top of my head) it chugs.
Mackie onyx artist audio interface - not used but told it's awesome when set up.
The luthier tools at first were inexpensive but if you know anything about Stumac then you are gonna end up being a tool junkie for this stuff too which can turn out to be expensive depending on what you wanna do....

I’ve been inspired by a combination of this thread and a couple of listens of Gregor Hildens wha-tastic cover of Oh Well. The RG has seen her first daylight since lockdown (it was still in tune, obviously) but very deserving of a re-string.
That’s a job for tomorrow and sobriety. It’s a just pity my fingers still don’t work the way the used to.
666E72C5-4E01-4C41-BF11-BBA7658B0C37.jpeg

Man some fancy gear in this thread. To bring things back to earth, here's my $100 acoustic with glued-on leopard skin fuzzy material and spice girls sticker, next to the kid's ukes... 😀
Photographed over my shoulder in the lounge while I browse the web...
20230712_204637_copy_673x799.jpg

(also have a Japanese strat and epiphone Les Paul). Haven't played any of them for years, but keen to pick them up again...

ow dooo, been dabbling for awhile now and ever since WFH my gits moved into my office ;)
most all strat copies bought for cheap and setup to play sweet AF rewired etc. one at me mates so can't get a pic of that.
one squire strat and a squire Bass which is awesome. also a spanish classical and a samick acoustic.
also currently building a Klone (circled), not paying that silly price for em.
just finished building a 5E3 (modulus kit) chooob amp and covered it in old dog **** stained leather i got from the sister inlaw.
need to finish a cab yet. also a yamahaa thr10 nice for recording to DAW with as it came with cubase. and then the old fender deluxe85 that i originally got when i 1st started. the tangle wood LP copy didn't go the distance as in them days had no clues about setups so frustration got the better of me and it ended up smashed. also like moding the wiring squire has Gilmour mod and the heavy relic'd one has usual selector switch config aswell as parrelel and series mods.
just a couple more week and me second IPA will be ready! Hopped this one.

Attachments

• IMG_4293.JPG
    IMG_4293.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4300.JPG
    IMG_4300.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4296.JPG
    IMG_4296.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4295.JPG
    IMG_4295.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4292.JPG
    IMG_4292.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4291.JPG
    IMG_4291.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4290.JPG
    IMG_4290.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4289.JPG
    IMG_4289.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
I have a feeling that I have posted these pictures before but not in this thread by the looks of it.
I have collected quite a few guitars over the past 20 odd years, this is a sample of my collection.

I also have a few nice amps , a couple of '80s Music Man RDs, an early 70s Vox AC30 and a Ceriatone Overtone Special, a modern Dumble clone which is a beautiful amplifier.

edit: Reading back through the thread I see that most have given some details about the guitars, so...

1. 1963 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman
2. 2022 Dobrato Resonator, with bigsby and b-bender
3. 1929 Dobro Model 45 and 1935 Dobro Model 32
4. 2008 Gibson ES-339 with 1982 Music Man RD50 amplifier
5. Ibanez AF-75 not sure of the year
6. 2016 Gibson Keb' Mo' and 1983 Gibson ES-335
7. A self built copy of a La Cabronita using TV Jones Power 'Tron pickups
8. 1978 Pre Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray alongside a 2017 Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray. This one is Ball Family Reserve, No1 of only 50 made!
9. 1977 Fender Precision Bass

Attachments

• country-gm.jpeg
    country-gm.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 0
  • dobrato.jpeg
    dobrato.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0
  • dobros.jpeg
    dobros.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • gibson-339.jpeg
    gibson-339.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ibanez-af75.jpg
    ibanez-af75.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • keb-335.jpeg
    keb-335.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0
  • la-cabronita.jpeg
    la-cabronita.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0
  • mm-cultlass.jpeg
    mm-cultlass.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
  • mmstingray.jpeg
    mmstingray.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PBass.jpeg
    PBass.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I sold this 1977 Music Man Stingray Bass in 1983 not long after my then wife-to-be had paid a local jeweller to engrave my name onto the battery plate on the back. She has never quite forgiven me for selling it so we’ve been looking for this guitar ever since!

Well today she found it on Reverb, name still on the plate, being sold by a shop in Dublin! So now I've just bought it back after 40 years and will drive to Dublin in the morning to collect it.

The legend that is John Fogerty gave away his famous Rickenbacker 325 Fireglo in the early 1970's and he bought it back after 44 years so I reckon I'm ahead of the game. 😂

I think I'll open a wee IPA to celebrate.

MM1.png

Fate! That's a great story.
I'm blown away by it. I can't describe the shock in seeing it again! It's had a rough old journey by the looks of some of the photos but we've all picked up bumps and bruises over the past 40 years. 😂

Can anyone recommend a straty sounding guitar with a neck that stubby fingers like myself can do the thumb over grip on?

I have a MIM Roadhouse that sounds the the mutts nutts and plays lovely but I can't do Hendrix/frusciante thumb over stuff on it :-(

PX220103379044002f.jpg

Latest posts

Back