Show us your Pushbikes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still getting over a cold so a very slow 25 miles this morning on my old commuter as my proper bike is broken 😪

Screenshot_20210526-093548_Strava~2.jpg
20210526_080515.jpg

This week is a planned recovery week but I have a gum infection so feeling a bit under the weather so less riding has become no riding since Sunday, just got some anti-biotics from the dentist so hopefully will be feeling well enough to get a couple of rides in over the weekend, but with my 2nd Covid jab on Friday even that is in some doubt and to cap it off I can't drink until Tuesday ffs. asad1

Just a slow 16 miler last night. Only one decent climb but a decent circular route for doing in under an hour. Had to deal with another flooded road though. Managed to keep the HR to an average 111 so i am in good shape for more challenging riding as the weather improves.

I am not very experienced on the bike. Normally I run, anything from 5k to marathon. Since I have started back biking my knee caps have been sore, my left is actually tender to touch. Today's cycle was difficult. Is this just down to using new muscles or is it bad posture

I am not very experienced on the bike. Normally I run, anything from 5k to marathon. Since I have started back biking my knee caps have been sore, my left is actually tender to touch. Today's cycle was difficult. Is this just down to using new muscles or is it bad posture
I doubt it is down to using different muscle groups, that would not give sore knees I don't think. There are several possibilities. Saddle could be the wrong height, either too low or even worse too high. It could be if you are pedaling at too low a cadence but using high force especially if you are getting a bit older.
Whereabouts is the discomfort, on the front of the knees or one side or the other?
Have a read of THIS and see what you think. Do you have a good bike shop nearby that can do a proper Bike Fit? It can make a big difference.

Do you clip in? When I first started to clip in my knees were sore, well more specifically my right knee was sore....so much so that I only clip in now on a long ride or sportive and don't bother when commuting or on a shortish ride.

Do you clip in? When I first started to clip in my knees were sore, well more specifically my right knee was sore....so much so that I only clip in now on a long ride or sportive and don't bother when commuting or on a shortish ride.
Possibly cleat alignment, a proper bike fit is well worth the expense.

I read somewhere there is an online bike fit app, personally being a leisure cyclist I now use half toeclips, these allow you to reposition your foot as you wish but still provide the security to stop the foot slipping ( at a very small cost to efficiency.)
When I had sore knees I upped my cadence, made sure the saddle was the right height and cut the mileage for a while until the knee recovered.
You may be getting a bit of irritation to the cartilage behind the knee it just needs to settle down
Re bike fit never had one, never thought it necessary (probably didn't exist when I did biggish mileage though)

I doubt it is down to using different muscle groups, that would not give sore knees I don't think. There are several possibilities. Saddle could be the wrong height, either too low or even worse too high. It could be if you are pedaling at too low a cadence but using high force especially if you are getting a bit older.
Whereabouts is the discomfort, on the front of the knees or one side or the other?
Have a read of THIS and see what you think. Do you have a good bike shop nearby that can do a proper Bike Fit? It can make a big difference.
It's the front of the knee cap. I am going to look into getting a bike fit.

It's the front of the knee cap. I am going to look into getting a bike fit.
I think that's the right decision, make sure you research your bike fitters though and go with who seems to be the most experienced/qualified.
If you still have any issues after a bike fit then it's worth seeing sports physio, in particular a physio who understands cycling and can advise on any corrective methods.

I can not ride clipped in, I have a problem with the back of the knee or top of the calf (doctors physios have different opinions) So on steep ground I need to pedal from the arch of my foot, when I forger I hurt the back of the knee. Been like this for years, if I was to religiously follow a bike fit I would have to give up cycling - sometimes you just have to work round old injuries.

Went out last night and absolutely smashed my best ever 25K time (which still isn't very good, so I'm not posting it here :laugh8:)

Top tip - forget that you have to pick up your daughter from Brownies and remember just as you set out. It makes you pedal like a loon.

Back