Show us your Pushbikes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can not ride clipped in, I have a problem with the back of the knee or top of the calf (doctors physios have different opinions) So on steep ground I need to pedal from the arch of my foot, when I forger I hurt the back of the knee. Been like this for years, if I was to religiously follow a bike fit I would have to give up cycling - sometimes you just have to work round old injuries.
What about climbing out of the saddle? Have you seen a cycling specific physio?

Went out last night and absolutely smashed my best ever 25K time (which still isn't very good, so I'm not posting it here :laugh8:)
Go on, you no you want to, as the saying goes if it's not on Strava it didn't happen :laugh8:

What about climbing out of the saddle? Have you seen a cycling specific physio?
Same thing, need to push from nearly the heel, same with my hill walking got to try and remember to push from the heel with the left leg.

Seen a sports physio years ago, she thought it was knee, another physio thinks it calf, doctors seems totally uninterested. I need a MRI for proper diagnosis, but unlikely to get that for a minor niggle that is easily worked round. In any case even if they found something and could offer an op - no way would I risk it. managing nearly 150 mile a week on 60 year old knees, so quite happy really.

As we get older and more decrepit, it can be difficult to follow the correct protocols of bike fits designed for perfectly functioning athletes.

Go on, you no you want to, as the saying goes if it's not on Strava it didn't happen :laugh8:
Bit of a tangent, but the only thing I use Strava for now is the Garage function to keep track of how many miles each bike has done. If it wasn't for that, I'd be happy with just the health app on my watch.

Bit of a tangent, but the only thing I use Strava for now is the Garage function to keep track of how many miles each bike has done. If it wasn't for that, I'd be happy with just the health app on my watch.
Can the health app count how many pints you reward yourself after each cycle 🤭

Can the health app count how many pints you reward yourself after each cycle 🤭
You would be shocked to find out how far you need to ride to burn off a pint. My be 5 to 7 miles per pint. A descent pudding and a couple of bottles after my dinner wipes out 20 mile on the bike :( (and that is not including the dinner)

I only burn about 600 Calories doing 25k flat out; that's 2/3 pints (ish) depending on what you are drinking. Better than nothing. If I really want to bank some calories for a session, it needs to be 30 miles and lots of hills

You would be shocked to find out how far you need to ride to burn off a pint.

It is shocking.
If I ride over the other side of town to see my Mum, have a coffee and a biscuit, I wipe out the calories burnt. I tell my daughter it's better not to put the calories in rather than try to burn them off.

Today will be a good day, 30 miles on the bike, quite a few up and downs, would have gone longer but it started raining and I forgot my jacket...swimming this afternoon, hefeweizen brewing this avo or maybe overnight and a few pints to go with it!

Screenshot_20210605-102800_Strava.jpg

Today will be a good day, 30 miles on the bike, quite a few up and downs, would have gone longer but it started raining and I forgot my jacket...swimming this afternoon, hefeweizen brewing this avo or maybe overnight and a few pints to go with it!

View attachment 48503
just to understand more of your calorie calculation - what weight are you and the bike?

and if you had ridden a little slower how would that of affected the calorie output ?

I just have some guestimations to calc my calorie output and I would have made 30mile + 2,000' ascent at 1500 calories
me the bike and what I usually carry weigh in at just under 16stone

just to understand more of your calorie calculation - what weight are you and the bike?

and if you had ridden a little slower how would that of affected the calorie output ?

I just have some guestimations to calc my calorie output and I would have made 30mile + 2,000' ascent at 1500 calories
me the bike and what I usually carry weigh in at just under 16stone

I don't think its accurate to be honest and ignore it. I think you'd need other info such as power, cadence and heart rate to get an accurate figure. I have a wahoo computer with heart rate monitor but dont use it on this bike as i kid myself that I'll get my proper bike repaired soon.

To answer the question though, I'm 15 stone and the bike is about average for a road bike, maybe 8kg I guess?

Yes, you need power data for accuracy, here is my ride from today with power data etc. KJ are pretty much the same as Calories.
ride.JPG

Yes, you need power data for accuracy, here is my ride from today with power data etc. KJ are pretty much the same as Calories.
View attachment 48530
2631 KJ = 629 kCal
so from your data that would be 167 kcal per hour or 9 kcal per mile
something is wrong there

good average speed for a fairly hilly ride - way out of my league.

2631 KJ = 629 kCal
so from your data that would be 167 kcal per hour or 9 kcal per mile
something is wrong there

good average speed for a fairly hilly ride - way out of my league.
Not for cycling

Answer: Divide the amount of kJs by 4.184 then divide by .25. Calories burned cycling are dependent on your Gross Metabolic Efficiency, but for most people, it’s between 20-25%. That means for every Calorie you burn produces around 1.045 kilojoules. For practical reasons, most cyclists approximate 1 kJ is equal to 1 Calorie.

In the context of cycling, energy, how it’s consumed, burned and expended is at the center of endurance performance. Energy in cycling refers to a couple things: the energy that is stored in the form of chemical energy from nutrition, and the heat and mechanical energy that’s doled out when we’re on the bike. Let’s cover a few of the different terms we have for that energy.

Source HERE

and here is my strava data for comparison with calories
ride2.JPG

Managed to get out this evening and get up there on the wolds for some up and down bits. Wind was surprisingly pleasant, which for round here is a friggin miracle.

30 miles and I saw 8 cars. 😁

Had to google where you live, but i remember playing rugby out in Boston and Sleaford and know what you mean about the wind!!

Starting to feel really good on the bike, consistency is key but bloody hayfever as been a killer this week.

Also trying to plan my annual cycling trip in North Wales. He wants to do the blwch y groes, think it's the highest road in Wales at 1975feet. He climb is brutal. The route I have been looking at means we will climb for over 20 miles which includes over a mile of a minimum of 12% and according to kamoot, highs of 27%.

Back