Show us your Pushbikes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, and we're much further north than South Lincs - about parallel with Manchester (almost) so it's even more windy here.
You want wind come to Donegal. Not only is it strong but it has an annoying habit of being in your face no Matter what way you turn 😢

You can set out with a head wind thinking to yourself happy days tail wind on the way home.
Never works out that way

We have tons of whirligigs as well (wind farms) just to point out how the wind has changed to **** on your chips. :laugh8:

Many a time I've fought my way through a head wind to get to the shelter of the hills only for my route home to be a bang on head wind as well.

Some pics from todays ride - warm and sunny, makes a nice change.
x-EBR-2088.jpg

x-EBR-2090.jpg

x-EBR-2093.jpg

x-EBR-2096.jpg

x-EBR-2102.jpg

My Vanoli, sounds Italian but made in Paris. A run of the mill bike but pretty rare.
Interesting bike not made for quite some time by the look of it, I see they had a small Pro bike team back in the 50's and Frederick Vanoli still works as a Pro Mechanic ARTICLE

Went out today on the Limba for a cheeky lunchtime ride, mostly off road / farm track / bridleway / sea defences, but some road. Lovely and warm, strong breeze but nothing too bad. Did 25 miles, then back to the grindstone. Now, its hammering it down and thundering. Phew!

What's that like to ride. I have never been on a bike that old. Suicide shifter's 😢

Hi Samale. It's pretty heavy but quite comfortable. Ah, the old plastic Simplex shifters. I can't understand why they died out.

DSCF1088.JPG

Starting to feel really good on the bike, consistency is key but bloody hayfever as been a killer this week.

Also trying to plan my annual cycling trip in North Wales. He wants to do the blwch y groes, think it's the highest road in Wales at 1975feet. He climb is brutal. The route I have been looking at means we will climb for over 20 miles which includes over a mile of a minimum of 12% and according to kamoot, highs of 27%.
Bwlch y Groes is the second highest public road mountain pass in Wales, with a summit altitude of 545 metres. Gospel Pass in south Wales is slightly higher.
Bwlch y Groes - Wikipedia
Gospel Pass - Wikipedia

Hi Samale. It's pretty heavy but quite comfortable. Ah, the old plastic Simplex shifters. I can't understand why they died out.

View attachment 48667
Is that indexed ?

My bike has down the tube shifters (which are indexed) I haven't really rode anything else but have no problem at all with them, seems a very natural place to have them

I used to ride on down tube shifters back in the day, with and without indexing. Indexing made a big difference but either are fine. The only issues being you need to sit down to shift when climbing and if you are racing then you need to be skilled at selecting the right gear especially for a sprint or the race is lost.

Starting to feel really good on the bike, consistency is key but bloody hayfever as been a killer this week.

Also trying to plan my annual cycling trip in North Wales. He wants to do the blwch y groes, think it's the highest road in Wales at 1975feet. He climb is brutal. The route I have been looking at means we will climb for over 20 miles which includes over a mile of a minimum of 12% and according to kamoot, highs of 27%.

Just planning a trip to Wales myself, hoping to do a cycle camping tour, I wasn't aware of Bwlch y Groes, I may have to pull that into the route if I can haul camping gear over it.

Just planning a trip to Wales myself, hoping to do a cycle camping tour, I wasn't aware of Bwlch y Groes, I may have to pull that into the route if I can haul camping gear over it.

I think the climb isn't that long, couple of mile I think but depending where you cycling from you are likely to be climbing for a number of miles. The profile of the ride I plan is cminving for the first 20 miles. The good thing is it's nearish to the cost so you can head that way for most pleasant roads

Is that indexed ?

My bike has down the tube shifters (which are indexed) I haven't really rode anything else but have no problem at all with them, seems a very natural place to have them

Hi Hopperty, not indexed but you soon get a feel for it.

Back