Sieve crushed pale malt to increase flour percentage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobukbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Mr Google knows nothing about this. I use 9 lb maris otter crushed pale malt in a typical brew. That is about the maximum I can handle. I was thinking about sieving another 5 lb and only adding the "flour" to my already 9 lb mash. Has anybody tried this. I use 32 litres of water and a large "brew in a bag". Thanks.

Is the aim to increase ABV? It will definitely add fermentables but you might end up with a really thick porridge like mash, you'd need to stir it quite a bit I would think but can't see why it wouldn't work. You'd have to experiment to see what kind of increase you'll get.
Have you considered adding other fermentables like DME, LME, golden syrup, dextrose or just plain old sugar to get you there? It'd be a lot less hassle in my opinion and you can get some great results.

fury-tea thanks - I use full volume mash 32 litres aimimg for 22 litres pre-boil, so it will be nowhere near thick porridge - I hope - will give an update after next brew day..........

Latest posts

Back