Signing Off for a few weeks!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not back until next week but I need some advice on my little Prima Donna; except she ain't so little now!

My little "hublon" (French for hop) is going great and now stands over a metre high. However a few leaves have turned yellow at the base and about a dozen of the larger leaves have gone as per the photograph.

Help Questions are:

1. What is it?

2. How do I get rid of it?

I have to know soon 'cos I leave here on Friday!

Hoping for a quick response.

Dutto

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

I would say that it's quite possibly a virus.Suggest perhaps mulching the plant,feeding and a good watering. Should any leaves drop off pick em up and destroy them.
Plenty of virus's this time of the year that attack many plants.Wouldn't worry overduly:thumb:

I don't know what it is, but you are jammy Dutto. You've managed to miss an entire election campaign.

Looks to me like tobacco mosaic virus except for hops.

look it up on google Hop Mosaic virus and look for images looks a bit like yours.
if it is the treatment is usually based on prevention, ie it may already be too late!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've looked at so many plant photographs that I'm beginning to think that growing anything is a lottery fraught with danger!

I'm not convinced it's a virus 'cos it's only mature leaves that have been attacked and the nearest leaf I've seen that looks like the ones I've removed are being attacked by a boring insect.

I've about burned up my phone's data quota searching the internet, so Plan A is to get an insecticide tomorrow, give it a good spray and hope that when I get back in September Donna is still alive; and maybe has a few flowers to pluck in October.

Thanks again.

Signing off until next week.

Dutto

PS

All HB finished now resorting to Fischers in flip-tops so that I can bring the bottles home.

It's a hard life.

Okay, I am now officially "Back Home". (I must be because today I was transferring beer into MKs & bottles!)

I'm glad to report that "Critical Mass" has been retained for my homecoming (+/- 100 litres) so I will be able to relax for a few weeks before deciding what to brew next. (It will probably be a SMASH with Maris Otter Malt and Saaz Hops.)

I have to say that both the SMASH with Citra and the SMASH with Cascade both went down a dream whilst I was away. :thumb:

PS

My Prima Donna Hop Plant was sprayed twice with an insecticide and has now been left to fend for herself.

Here's hoping that when we go back in September/October we have a crop to pick rather than that we have been providing food for the local wildlife!

Welcome back, get a brew on now and it will be perfectly "drinkable " in three weeks 😂😂😂😂😉👍

Yeah - welcome back! How did the hop garden planting go?

Prima Donna set off like a train but by the time it reached half a metre high it was being eaten by something!

I got fed up with looking at photographs of the enormous variety of bacteria, viruses and insects that eat hop plants and finally gave it two heavy sprays of insecticide and left it to its own devices.

By the time I left it was at one metre high and had put out about five suckers so here's hoping that I have a hop plant to return to in September.

The photo was taken a week before I left.

Hop Trellis.jpg

As usual at this time of the year I will be signing off of a few weeks to nip over to France.

This year I have the added excitement of checking out my Prima Donna hop plant; and hoping that she has survived the summer!

We leave tomorrow and intend (weather and fitness permitting) to stay in France until the middle of November.

So, while I'm away, play nicely, be polite to each other and I'll be back sometime in November! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

PS

When I return I expect the following will be ready to drink:

o Low ABV Pale Ale.

o Vienna Lager.

o Pilsner with Cherry.

o A Stout (Coopers + AG)

o A few bottles of Mild.

I know your thinking "It's a hard life he leads!"; but someone has to do it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back