Silver spoon sugar cubes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The easiest way for priming is to get a small bowl or ramekin, put granulated sugar in it and use a funnel and a teaspoon to add a half teaspoon to each 500ml or 2L bottle. It takes scarcely a couple of minutes. Try lining up the bottles like soldiers in a laundry basket, so they can't fall over. The fag on bottling day is making sure the bottles are clean and fairly sterile before adding the priming sugar.

I did try using the little sugar wraps once - and once only, because they were a complete ball ache.

As above line up 30,50 bottles
funnel I use the kids medicine spoon the smaller side as much as u can fit
And job done

Christ almighty! I did this on my first brew and never again. Sugar cubes do not fit inside the neck of a bottle. Or at least they don't in the ones I used. You can break them in half but your fingers will be aching pretty soon. You can cut them in half but that's a faff. Perhaps there are different sized cubes available but the ones I bought were not fit for purpose. If you want to prime with sugar, then the best and easiest way is to batch prime. About 120g of sugar, melted down in hot water, is a good rule of thumb for most styles when brewing approx 20L. Don't overthink it. I did this for many years with no issues. It works.

The easiest way for priming is to get a small bowl or ramekin, put granulated sugar in it and use a funnel and a teaspoon to add a half teaspoon to each 500ml or 2L bottle. It takes scarcely a couple of minutes. Try lining up the bottles like soldiers in a laundry basket, so they can't fall over. The fag on bottling day is making sure the bottles are clean and fairly sterile before adding the priming sugar.

I did try using the little sugar wraps once - and once only, because they were a complete ball ache.
I got bored reading that and I timed it and I could prime all my bottles quicker than reading your instructions 🤣🤣🤣😂

I tried using sugar cubes once but couldn't get them in bottle intact so had to grind them up in mortar and pestle as I didn't have any granulated sugar,now I do the sugar syrup method.

Fold a narrow piece of card into a "V" and use that to slide the sugar into the bottle. It doesn't clog in the way that a funnel can if it gets wet.

Correct, AA, a wet funnel really is annoying!

Since resuming my brewing career after many years, fearful of bottle bombs and going by online calculators, I batch primed two brews, the first one with 65 grams and the second with 100 grams of dissolved sugar and was disappointed with the carbonation both times. The second batch was better but still insufficient. I'm going to try the Lovebrewing syringe method with the next brew.

Newby question – if you’re batch priming before bottling, do you use the full amount of sugar / spraymalt in the batch ? I just batch primed and bottled yesterday: instructions said “1tsp of DME per pint bottle“, I had 40 pints, I carefully measured that 1tsp of DME = 4g, so pre-dissolved 160g of DME in 500ml of water, quick boil, and once cooled I carefully poured it in the fermenter, then later bottled. Do I have box of grenades, or all good?

Back