Simple, cheap safety valve for a KK lid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerBandit

Reaction score
I've been plagued with my top tap KK barrels leaking pressure. It's always from the Hambleton Bard valve - usually from the inlet but sometimes from the safety part. I've bought new valves, fitted new rubber bands and tried every trick I can find to sort the problem. Recently, I fitted schrader valves to the barrels and pressure tested them before filling with beer. They usually reach 15-20psi before somewhere gives. I'm happy with that but before the beer is drunk, and usually after the odd squirt of gas, the valve will start leaking again.

So my thoughts are to solder up the safety valve and to make a blanking cap for the inlet. But I'm worried I still need a safety. Does anyone know of a simple and cheap safety valve I can use to release excess pressure at 15-20psi?

The safety valve used on the Bialetti Moka pots looks good (15-25psi, apparently) but I can only find them on eBay for £15. The price is a bit steep (especially as they don't seem to be genuine Bialetti) but the thread length is only 4mm. I'd need room for at least a locking nut and maybe a rubber seal.
SAFETY AIR RELIEF VALVE M9 THREAD COFFEE MACHINE MAKER BIALETTI MOKA RESTYLE

There are others with either the same thread length or price problem.
1/2" BSP Adjustable Spring Loaded Pressure Relief Valve / Safety Valve
3/4" INCH SPRING SAFETY VALVE SPRING PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE

I'd love to know if anyone has done something similar.

Thanks!

I don’t do simple so cheap neither but…..
I changed to corny posts and got rid of the dreaded HB valve. I fit a 15 p.s.i. relief valve (from flebay) using a gas quick connect during carbonation but remove after serving a few pints and use CO2 regulator to re-pressurise. Just been on fleabay and they only have 1 valve (15 p.s.i. 1/4NPT) for £16 :confused.:. Dunno if they’re getting some more.
200A6979-E9EE-475A-B9B2-3BF99F26E883.jpeg

Latest posts

Back