Simple Stout.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Could anybody please post a quick turnaround all grain simple Irish Stout recipe.

This will be my 2 nd all grain brew and I don't want anything to complicated.

I will be BIAB with a electrim boiler, and I will be doing the no chill method.

I think that is all the equipment list I need to give.

I have had a look on brewers friend but they seem like I am adding quite a lot of different ingredients and I am not sure how long I will have to leave it.

Further to that I will be putting the finished stout in bottles.

Thanks

MYQUL,
Thank you very much you are a gentleman and a scholar.
I will be trying this.

Have you made this recipe yourself if so, how did it turn out.

Thanks

Bigd

well myqul, if the guiness recipe is as simple as I get I think I will be trying this one. thanks

I have just done this which i believe is the one above

70% golden promise
20% flaked barley
10% roast barley
east kent golding bittered to 35IBU
Kveik voss yeast

Fermented out in a day (32c) and will be ready to keg after about 5 days

@MyQul Any idea where to get the "Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus" from? Would be interested in trying souring a portion.

MYQUL,
Thank you very much you are a gentleman and a scholar.
I will be trying this.

Have you made this recipe yourself if so, how did it turn out.

Thanks

Bigd

Tbh I cant quite remember. I think I have (I made it from the GH book which is very similar on the proportion/amounts). I seem to remember it was kind of roasty but I like that. If you want something smoother cold steep the RB or add it ater in the mash

I have just done this which i believe is the one above

70% golden promise
20% flaked barley
10% roast barley
east kent golding bittered to 35IBU
Kveik voss yeast

Fermented out in a day (32c) and will be ready to keg after about 5 days

@MyQul Any idea where to get the "Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus" from? Would be interested in trying souring a portion.

I've read different things about how they sour a portion before adding it back into the beer. Lactic acid, leaving a small amount out for a week to sour or as steve says buy some of the correct 'bugs' from a yeast lab

Bottled Guinness seems much improved to me over what it used to be. But I don't like the way draught Guinness is served at arctic temperatures these days - who knows what the stuff tastes like when it's numbed yer taste buds like that.

Hi,
@MyQul I recently made my draught guiness clone, and it started at og 1040, and 5 days after went to 1013, should I carryon leaving it for 2 weeks or bottle at the present time. I cant see it going down much further, and there is no foam left on top of the fermenter.
Which seems to say to me that it looks like it has finished.

Hi,
@MyQul I recently made my draught guiness clone, and it started at og 1040, and 5 days after went to 1013, should I carryon leaving it for 2 weeks or bottle at the present time. I cant see it going down much further, and there is no foam left on top of the fermenter.
Which seems to say to me that it looks like it has finished.

It may well have done but Id deffo leave it for two weeks. A lot of my brews ferment most of the gravity points in the first 3-5 days then talk another week to ferment out the last few points

I've got the simple Guinness recipe in the FV at the moment too, and at about 1 week in as of this morning. I'm so tempted to check on it, but then I recall someone here saying, "two weeks!" so i'm trying to force myself to wait.

I also added 400g of hook pale malt and re-mashed to make a second little beer of some kind. Will be fun to see! My main driver was my terrible efficiency again (although I've since ordered a pump etc yay!).

Here is the recipe for the last dry stout I made back in February. It is very good indeed, even after having been forgotten for many months:

Maris Otter 3.6kg
Flaked Barley 1kg
Roasted Barley 500g
Wheat malt 330g
Chocolate 100g

Bittering with Pilgrim - 39g @ First Wort.
US 05 does the job with this style for me.

Latest posts

Back