Simply, Pale Ale Kit Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andylanc1975

Regular.
Reaction score
this is as the name suggests and incredibly simple kit. It's the equivalent of a 1 can kit so needs 1kg of sweet stuff to make up the wort and I say equivalent as you don't get a tin with this kit, its a heavy duty plastic bag of wort (with a sachet of freeze dried yeast taped to the bottom).

I made my brew up using a bag of Muntons Beer Enhancer, must admit I've never used household sugar or any other products when doing 1 can kits as I tried the beer enhancer on my first attempt, it worked well so I don't see any point in changing it?

As with every other brew I've done with the enhancer, it clumps as soon as you get any sort of moisture near it, so you need to work it a bit to ensure it's fully dissolved. Other than that the kit itself was a breeze, slight issue dissolving the residue that was left on the side of the pack, not as easy to swill boiling water in a plastic bag compared to a tin to get the last remnants out. SG came out at 1040, making the brew to the recommended 5 gallons and had a good light colour to it. I didn't bother re-hydrating the yeast, just pitched them straight into the FV and sealed the FV up, using an airlock as is my normal practice. Next morning, the yeast was already at work, airlock giving a steady bubble every now and then.

Due to a trip away rather than anything I've read or felt in my water, I left the beer in the FV for 14 days before taking the first gravity reading. the reading was 1006 and remained so for the next two days, so it was time to transfer to the pressure keg. That was Sunday, it's been in there with 85g of household sugar so pressure will (hopefully) be building up nicely. Off to Oulton Park this weekend, so it'll sit in the house until I get back and then out to the garage for conditioning for as long as I can stand it.

A sample off from the FV (to measure the gravity, honest that was the only reason, promise it wasn't to try... but as I had taken a sample off, seemed rude not to try it :cheers: ), showed a fairly typical haze, an aroma and taste that had a pleasing grapefruity citrus aroma (citra hops maybe?) and a really nice light coloured ale. I have high hopes for this one!

A picture of the sample before I had to try it...

0145fc55.jpg

Would be interested to hear your conclusions.

Art of Brewing had these on offer at £8.49 each so I bought a couple of the pale ale and a mild.

Will be making them soon.

:oops: Sorry, I didn't make any notes in my book when I drank it... which does tell me that the beer was drinkable as any kit that turns out not to my taste gets a red line straight through it.

£8.49 for 40 pints, you can't beat that one, good luck and next time I promise I'll make notes!

No worries.

I may give this a go at the weekend if I manage to free up a FV. I will continue to post on here if that is ok with you.

I made this one yesterday. Really is very easy, you dont even need a can opener. I used to mess around with spray malt and brewing sugar but I have since found that using a beer enhancer with cheap one can kits always seems to work well.
I use the Richies one which at £4.39 is cheap too. I get alot of stuff from http://www.art-of-brewing.co.uk/ who I would always reccomend.

I mixed the enhancer in the FV with about 5 litres of cold water. Dont even think about using hot unless you want a rubber ball in the bottom of your pot. The wort was sat in a pan of boiling water for ten minutes before tearing the top off and adding to the mix. Sitting the empty pouch in my 2litre jug made it easy to swill out the remains with boiling water. Topped off to 23L the temp was 19c and the SG 1.040 so I pitched the yeast in and put it away to 'cook'.

We will see how it goes next week.
L3Ou6sz.jpg

Well the Pale Ale has had 8 days in the FV and the gravity has been steady at 1006 for the last three days. So I bottled it today. It looks a bit more cloudy than I would like but tastes not bad at all.

Will try a bottle in a couple of weeks.
KKiaFIX.jpg

Just this second put a similar brew on using this kit & 1kg of muntons brew enhancer.
I've brewed short though @ 20L & the o/g is coming in at 1042 ish, could be slightly out due to temperature.
I'll be dry hopping too. I've bought some cascade hops for this. I like really hoppy beers so not sure how much to add but I'm thinking after 7 days to bung 40g in & see what happens! :whistle:
I only bought this kit to experiment with as it was cheap, I normally do premium kits.
Not sure what to use for priming yet, I've got both brewing sugar & a tiny bit of light hopped dme left :hmm:

Time is up. Cracked one open tonight!

Beautiful clear golden pale ale. Not overly strong in flavour but perfect when it is still 28 degrees at 7pm. Very pleased with this. When I brew this again I might add a handful of hops as I like a really hoppy Pale Ale but there is nothing wrong with this at all. For a cheapie I give it 9 out of 10 Cheers!
EVJzt8X.jpg

I made this with 500g of medium spray malt and 500g of brewing sugar. I left it for a couple of weeks in primary and then in secondary for a week before bottling. After a week in house for bottle conditioning I put it in the garage for a week. Tried one two days ago and it was totally rubbish, cloudy, over carbonated and I thought that the whole batch was infected, having had a recent problem with Wilko Cider. Gave it another go tonight and it is great! Considering it is only a 1.7kg kit it is as good as the 3kg kits I have tried. A lovely tasting beer, good head that lasts and an all round good beer. would recommend this totally!

Lesinge said:
I made this with 500g of medium spray malt and 500g of brewing sugar. I left it for a couple of weeks in primary and then in secondary for a week before bottling. After a week in house for bottle conditioning I put it in the garage for a week. Tried one two days ago and it was totally rubbish, cloudy, over carbonated and I thought that the whole batch was infected, having had a recent problem with Wilko Cider. Gave it another go tonight and it is great! Considering it is only a 1.7kg kit it is as good as the 3kg kits I have tried. A lovely tasting beer, good head that lasts and an all round good beer. would recommend this totally!

Maybe it was just a bad bottle. I have had that happen.

I've got the Simply Mild on the go at the moment. Having tasted this, it looks like being a good one.

That looks a nice pint mate.
Mine has stopped bubbling in 3 days!!!! very worried, it's too hot :shock:
Just off now to test with hydrometer......

muddy90 said:
That looks a nice pint mate.
Mine has stopped bubbling in 3 days!!!! very worried, it's too hot :shock:
Just off now to test with hydrometer......

Thanks, It goes down rather well!

First time I have ever been moving stuff around trying to find a cooler place for the brews. Usually the other way round.

It tested at 1020 so it's stuck or the yeast has died from too much heat! If I can get some yeast I'll re pitch this weekend & move it into the shed/beer store.

My local HBS were selling these off at £20 for 3 so I've used 2 bags instead of one with sugar, last few pints in the corny, worked really well when cleared with gelatine, really smooth in the mouth and good flavours! probably could be improved with a hop teabag but good value beer! :drink:

mitsu monkey said:
How much sugar are you using per 500ml bottle when bottling this beer?

Cheers

I'm not the original poster but I should think that he is using 1 teaspoon per pint bottle which is the norm. Or you can batch prime which makes sure that you get an even distribution of the sugar.

I'm going to batch prime on my next batch because my last batch the pint bottles were perfect but the 330ml bottles were slightly under primed.

Hope this helped.
Jacob :cheers:

Just set this one going to do a back to back with the Bulldog Four Finger Jack APA I've got on the go.

Brewed short to 20 litres, OG was about 1043, done with 1kg Munton's enhancer

Pitched the yeast at 21oC and now its sat rocking and rolling

Will be pressure barrelling this one so not a true back to back but I haven't got anymore bottles :lol:

Back