Simpsons Imperial Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raymondo

Reaction score
As per title - planning to add about 10% to a porter - any advantages, or has anyone used in other types?
Thanks,
Raymondo

Simpson's Imperial is amazing. You can add much more than 10% and as it's fully diastatic, I've used 100%- a bit much, I have to say, but I've made some great bitters with Imperial as base malt and caramalt and a bit of coloured malt. If you look at the Durden Park recipes, which call for pale amber malt, I use Imperial instead and it's amazing in their Simonds, Reading Bitter.

I've used it at 15% of the grist of a tried and tested recipe and it did improved the beer

Just checked the price and it's £2 per kilo at MM and Edinburgh Brewstore not available from GEB, THBC or WHS. Anyone know any other cheaper sources?

Just got a couple sacks of their lager malt and MO delivered but never used their grain before. Please to read people rate their malt, that’s a relief 👍

Just checked the price and it's £2 per kilo at MM and Edinburgh Brewstore not available from GEB, THBC or WHS. Anyone know any other cheaper sources?
Had an order from MM of a 25 Kg sack crushed for £31.50. Of course, using a sackful takes a bit of forward planning.
Edit: that was January this year.

Had an order from MM of a 25 Kg sack crushed for £31.50. Of course, using a sackful takes a bit of forward planning.
Edit: that was January this year.
AA
That's a good price I thought it would be £50. Is it also a substitute for Munich malt?

CC
I had to phone up for that price as a 25 kg sack wasn't on the inventory. I don't recall a single kilo being quite as much as £2, either, but I might be wrong.
The colour range of Imperial is 40-50 ebc while even dark Munich is only 25. Moreover, it's tastes more like an amber malt, even though it's lighter. I don't know whether you could get away with using one third of the amount of Munich called for in a recipe; it would taste nice, but it would be different, I think. Also, I suspect Imperial is made from Pale Ale malt while Munich is made from Pilsner, so even if they were both roast to the same colour, I would expect the Imperial to be "maltier".

Back