Simpsons naked golden oats

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
I bought kilo of these thinking they would be a good in a slightly hazy tropical pale ale i an brewing today but in further reading it seems I may be better sticking with my usual addition rolled oats from the cupboard instead.

Anyone used them in juicy pales?

Stuck with the rolled oats in the end.

not sure what I’m going to use the golden naked oats for going forward as I don’t brew porters or stouts.

Stuck with the rolled oats in the end.

not sure what I’m going to use the golden naked oats for going forward as I don’t brew porters or stouts.
Aren't they basically a crystal type malt? They could be used in place of a pale crystal barley malt in many recipes.

Aren't they basically a crystal type malt? They could be used in place of a pale crystal barley malt in many recipes.

think so athlugh they send to add nuttiness too, so maybe in an ESB?
Maybe in an American amber?

I've used them. They're oats crystal malt and, as such, have a very distinctive flavour which is entirely different to that of rolled oats. I don't see why they shouldn't compliment a tropical pale ale if used judiciously/ Why not try a small batch to start with?
My test brew of 83.3% pale ale malt, 8.3% Simpsons Golden Naked Oats 8.3% Torrified Wheat dropped crystal clear, by the way and my tasting notes refer to a pronounced fragrance in a "delicious" beer. It also takes some months in the bottle to really come together. I must make some more!

I've used them. They're oats crystal malt and, as such, have a very distinctive flavour which is entirely different to that of rolled oats. I don't see why they shouldn't compliment a tropical pale ale if used judiciously/ Why not try a small batch to start with?
My test brew of 83.3% pale ale malt, 8.3% Simpsons Golden Naked Oats 8.3% Torrified Wheat dropped crystal clear, by the way and my tasting notes refer to a pronounced fragrance in a "delicious" beer. It also takes some months in the bottle to really come together. I must make some more!

what hops and yeast?

what hops and yeast?
It wasn't an IPA. I bittered with fuggles to 38 IBUs and added Goldings (Worcesester) at -10 mins and at flameout. I used Rinqwood yeast, but only because I had a culture ready. There was little rhyme or reason in the recipe except to substitute the crystal in a pretty standard recipe with NGOs.
I've having a bit of a tidy up and found a last bottle 18 months old. No popping or gushing, but I had to pour it into two glasses as it's so creamy. Settled down to a (still) lovely drink.

Excelent. I’m use it next time I try a bitter or esb. Not sure when that will be as previous attempts at English beers have never wowed.

I have definitely seen them in recipes for IPA and am pretty sure I have made those recipes. Adds MF to the beer and can add a bit of initial haziness. All my hazy / cloudy beers tend to clarify over time in the keg anyway.

I have definitely seen them in recipes for IPA and am pretty sure I have made those recipes. Adds MF to the beer and can add a bit of initial haziness. All my hazy / cloudy beers tend to clarify over time in the keg anyway.

mine too. It was the=nuttiness than gave me second thoughts in a juicy pale ale.

By the way, Are you going on Thursday to the brew club meeting at northern lights? I think you were looking to on the befast forum?

I've got some in my dark mild recipe. Will see how they go.

mine too. It was the=nuttiness than gave me second thoughts in a juicy pale ale.

By the way, Are you going on Thursday to the brew club meeting at northern lights? I think you were looking to on the befast forum?
Forgot all about it, mate. Really have no idea if I will make it or not.

Back