Single hop series from Geterbrewed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidHatton

Reaction score
I wanted to try out a couple of geterbrewed's all grain recipe kits, I brewed the west coast ipa and the bavarian mandarina single hop ipa, the west coast is really good, but I think something may have gone a stray with the other. Without jumping the gun I think they may have mixed up the grains, this kit is as the image shows very dark, it also tastes very toffee like, any ideas, thinking I might ask them for the grain bill as it's not listed anywhere. Cheers

20190811_180424.jpg

You're not the first person to say that. I had the same and others have too. They say the grist is meant to be like that. I personally think to showcase a single hop, a simple pale malt grist would be more appropriate.

I noticed the reviews on the kit won't open, you brewed it yourself?

I have. I also contacted them about it at the time and seem to remember asking either here or on another forum. Geterbrewed advised it was a grist that had been designed by them and it was meant to be dark. The one I got was the Ella one.

I have a lot of time for geterbrewed, and I say that as someone who has had one or two issues over the years with them. I think they are very forward-thinking and innovative, but I do think they need to revisit their single-hop series.

I have. I also contacted them about it at the time and seem to remember asking either here or on another forum. Geterbrewed advised it was a grist that had been designed by them and it was meant to be dark. The one I got was the Ella one.

I have a lot of time for geterbrewed, and I say that as someone who has had one or two issues over the years with them. I think they are very forward-thinking and innovative, but I do think they need to revisit their single-hop series.

Thanks for that, I only really buy my grains from them, in my opinion they do need to re-think that kit, going to let it condition abit and come back to it in a few months, or it's going to be hard drinking 24 plus 660ml bottles of toffee ipa aheadbutt Cheers

Funny that you mentioned the Ella kit as the stove top kit was my return to brewing 3 years ago and did find it very toffee like in flavour and darkish though it didn't last long enough and to be fair it was pumped to 20 litres with some light DME iirc though It turned out quite nice in the end.

Funny that you mentioned the Ella kit as the stove top kit was my return to brewing 3 years ago and did find it very toffee like in flavour and darkish though it didn't last long enough and to be fair it was pumped to 20 litres with some light DME iirc though It turned out quite nice in the end.
In honesty, it was advertised as 23 litres of amazing ipa, not sure if the colour and flavour profile land it in that catergory, will get drunk just closer to winter, athumb..

Don't want to start a new thread, I really need to find a new homebrew supplier, any suggestions! other than Geterbrewed, ordered 2 grain kits back in july brewed and just bottled the ESB kit that I have been doing from home brew beer, and it has come out like a pale, as the thread is about the single hop kit, I ordered the single hop kit and the esb 6 weeks apart and the single hop kit was brewed and bottled before I ordered the other kits, just to remove doubt of me mixing up the esb and single hop kits. still have a munich dunkel to brew that I bought in july, who knows how that will turn out!

20190817_140210.jpg

Stoically I am laughing to myself, and am posting this here so others can have a chuckle as well, because you can't change whats happen. I have spent over £130 at Geb since June, am seriously thinking of buying a grain crusher, any suggestions please on a good one, I was told when I contacted them before I brewed, about the possiblity that something wasn't ticked on the kits, that it was a new starter that made up the kits and they would talk to him, but anyway it looks like they have forgotten to add the caramel malt and chocolate malt. :coat::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8: oh well.

I would say give them another chance if you are feeling forgiving. I am not going to lie and say they are perfect,because they are not. But I do believe them when they say it is something they will address. I was thinking about this the other day and there is a lot of trust that comes into ordering ingredients and recipe packs, and no doubt your trust has been dented.

Having said that, other sites I use depending on what I need:

The Home Brew Company
The Malt Miller
Crossmyloof Brewing

I have primarily gone back to geterbrewed simply because they have the widest selection of ingredients and are pretty innovative.

I just hope they get the Imperial Yeast back in stock soon.

Latest posts

Back