Single sachet Saflager S-23 - potential underpitch?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flat Foot

Reaction score
I was planning on brewing an lager tomorrow using Saflager S-23 from Fermentis (dried). Should be 21l with an OG of 1.055 and a FG of 1.011.

I just checked the sachet and realised the dosage is 10 to 15 litres. I'm guessing they've updated this as the product picture and description on the Balliihoo website states 20 to 30l.

Any gut feel on whether I'll underpitch if I use the one pack? Is it worth rehydrating it first or holding off until I can get another pack?

Alternative is I could probably pick up another pack on Monday, would adding a second pack about 24 hours in be a big deal?

I was hoping to get this one started this weekend as the next few are looking busy but if I need to hold off another week c'est la vie

I was planning on brewing an lager tomorrow using Saflager S-23 from Fermentis (dried). Should be 21l with an OG of 1.055 and a FG of 1.011.

I just checked the sachet and realised the dosage is 10 to 15 litres. I'm guessing they've updated this as the product picture and description on the Balliihoo website states 20 to 30l.

Any gut feel on whether I'll underpitch if I use the one pack? Is it worth rehydrating it first or holding off until I can get another pack?

Alternative is I could probably pick up another pack on Monday, would adding a second pack about 24 hours in be a big deal?

I was hoping to get this one started this weekend as the next few are looking busy but if I need to hold off another week c'est la vie
I was a bit surprrised to see the same on 34/70 when it came to my current lager thats on, however I had ordered two and so pitched two.

If you still go ahead then rehydrating the yeast will give you better viability than pitching dry.

You could alternatively brew today while you have time but no-chill and then pitch 2 packs tomorrow when you have another pack.

Hey all, thanks for the replies, yesterday turned out to be a bit of a crazy day so didn't even come back on here to check for responses. Ended up chilling my wort and pitching at gone 10pm last night.

I'm going to be fermenting at ale temps, I'll be at the homebrew places collecting something else at lunch now anyway so figured picking up one extra pack wouldn't harm matters, and after my delayed brewing the original yeast would be barely getting started anyway.

Back