Siphon Hose Condensation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry_R

Reaction score
Sorry for the boring topic but this is really bugging me. Try as I might I cannot get rid of condensation in my siphon hoses once I have used and washed them. I've laid them down, straightened them out, hung them up, draped them over rads, laid them in front of the fire, hung them in the cold, hung them in the warm... and the dam things wont dry out! I don't want them to go mucky inside between uses..... what are the hot tips for drying them please?
:angry:

I rinse mine out with whatever i use to sterilise all the kit before i rack or bottle and i have never seen this, what do you use?

Hi!
I think that you are worrying too much. How many of your tubes have gone mucky between uses?
I rinse my siphon tubes and hang up until next time. If I was worried I would sanitise before storing.

I try to place mine so the openings are pointing up and hang it near a heat source over night. That way the vapour can escape out of the ends. Hanging upside down I always have condensation at the highest point.

Generally come out perfectly dry.

I switched most of my tubing to silicon and give it fifteen minutes in the pressure cooker prior on brew day, if there is anything lurking there it won't survive it and it keeps it nice and sealed up until ready to use.
If I want to collect slurry I will also throw in a SS gravy ladle and a jam jar and lid so they are sterilised too (much better than sanitised).

I don't stress about it, but my Dad used to go outside, after washing them, and swing them round like a lasso (one without a loop obviously), the idea being the centrifugal force would force all the liquid out. It also makes a cool noise!

I don’t worry too much about it as I clean and sanitise before use

I don't stress about it, but my Dad used to go outside, after washing them, and swing them round like a lasso (one without a loop obviously), the idea being the centrifugal force would force all the liquid out. It also makes a cool noise!
I’ll always remember my dad in the 80’s doing this. Daft how that memory has stuck in my mind!

Since discovering black mould inside a clear plastic pipe I have always sprayed the inside of pipes and tubes with StarSan after washing them.

Before putting them away, I remove as much liquid as possible by swinging them round really fast from each end. (My neighbour must think I’m insane ‘cos I’ve never bothered to explain what I’m doing or why!)

I then plug each end with a bit of kitchen towel, hang them over a roof beam (to drain) and sanitise them with a spray of StarSan before their next use.:thumb:

Mine get rinsed through after use,oxi 'd if required then left curled up in a few inches of starsan solution in a spare fv. Like mysterious brewing snakes.....

I'm not paranoid or nothing! But I make up a big bucket of sanitizer and leave all my bits n bobs in it, till next time...

I just leave mine in sanitizer after bottling whilst tidying up then drape over the shower curtain pole for as long as I can get away with ie till swmbo tells me to shift it

Not just me then. I've had crud growing inside my tube even after using this method so now I just leave it soaking in sterilising solution.

Back