Sir Ernest Shackleton’s ship Endurance

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sank in 1915 amazing how it has survived.
(see video)

The wreck of Sir Ernest Shackleton’s ship Endurance has been found off the coast of Antarctica, according to the Falklands Maritime Heritage Trust.
The ship had not been seen since it was crushed by ice and sank in the Weddell Sea in 1915, and last month the Endurance22 Expedition set off from Cape Town, South Africa, a month after the 100th anniversary of Sir Ernest’s death on a mission to locate it.
Endurance was found at a depth of 3,008 metres and approximately four miles south of the position originally recorded by the ship’s Captain Frank Worsley, the trust said. Dr John Shears, the expedition leader, said: “The Endurance22 expedition has reached its goal. We have made polar history with the discovery of Endurance, and successfully completed the world’s most challenging shipwreck search.

Amazing images - would love to see this brought to the surface. Have you seen The Vasa ? It's like the Mary Rose but better.

It looks amazing
Is it the cold waters that have preserved it so well?

I believe its -30c on a warm day i am not sure they will be able to bring it up.

Back in 1998, Caroline Alexander, who I believe is a descendant of Frank Hurley - the ship's photographer, published a book on the subject.
Some of the images are incredible - considering the photographic equipment that was available at the time.
Most of them were stored on hermetically sealed glass-plate negatives. It's a wonder they survived the ordeal, along with the majority of the crew...

I believe that is the reason TB, i was amazed to see all the chains still intact.
Definitely the sub zero water. Keeps the biologics from eating things. Not just the chains, Chippy. I saw a still photo taken off the port bow and there's an amazing amount of driving that's still intact. Fantastic historical find!

Slightly off topic, here's a quick snap of one of my fathers models. He's the best model maker I know....
IMG_1147.JPG

All the rigging hand knotted and stained, all the blocks handmade. All wood plank on plank construction.

Latest posts

Back