Sit Vac: Home Secretary

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElvisIsBeer

Reaction score
I searched The Snug for the word 'Windrush' and got nothing, so here we go.

The PM's lightning conductor in chief has resigned overnight. For lying. Or incompetence. Or lying while being incompetent, while implementing a toxic policy with perverse and wrong headed consequences.

May's policy.

Sajid Javid strong contender for the post.

I am listening to it on the radio as I type and they are saying the P.M should have resigned, will she?

No, of course she won't. She has already signalled in her acceptance of Rudd's resignation that Rudd has a great future in politics. There is no lasting shame in politics.

Rudd has gone. Javid would be a good choice for political reasons. His article over the weekend "it could have been my parents" emphasised his position as a potential anti-toxin for the government. We'll see some compensating legislation and compensation, and we'll be back to Brexit.......without linking the DNA that closely connects these two horrible policy issues.

I know there is a lot of chest beating, virtue signalling and political capital to be made from this, but I believe the majority of people want a tougher immigration policy and if that means quotas for deportation then so be it.

The issues with Windrush is the inflexible burocracy that meant everybody was put in the same pot, no doubt it was easier to deport people they could find as aposed to the ones that arrive on the back of a lorry and melt away into their ‘communities’ after arriving.
Although I agree the Windrush people were treated without enough compassion seeing their history, they do have some responsibility for their predicament. On two separate occasions they were told to obtain their citizenship, but for some reason they did not bother?
Anyway the government, as far as I know are still not logging who is coming into the country and who is going.
Also I think ID cards for all are the way forward, if you get stopped have no ID card and the immigration computer tells the police you should have left the country then it’s on the plane and home.

Although I agree the Windrush people were treated without enough compassion seeing their history, they do have some responsibility for their predicament. On two separate occasions they were told to obtain their citizenship, but for some reason they did not bother?

This is not accurate. They weren’t told to OBTAIN citizenship. They were told they WERE citizens.

This is not accurate. They weren’t told to OBTAIN citizenship. They were told they WERE citizens.
Hi!
Well said, sir.
One has to wonder about a government that says to residents who have been paying their taxes and NI for almost 60 years, "Bugger off back to where you came from. We have the small-minded xenophobes to placate and you are the easiest target."

From what I can tell (reading several surveys found on Google in about 10 mins) somewhere from 70-85% of people want lower immigration which I would imagine is the same as wanting tougher policies.

A tough stance on illegal immigration has been a policy (explicit or implicit) of the winning party of every election of my adult life.

80% of the votes in last year’s general election went to parties committed to ending freedom of movement of EU citizens into the UK.

The Home Secretary who has overseen changes designed to make legal migration significantly harder, and had lasted longer in that role than anyone in decades, became Prime Minister and when she did so she was very popular.

If Britons as a whole want more immigration we certainly have a strange way of showing it.

I know there is a lot of chest beating, virtue signalling and political capital to be made from this, but I believe the majority of people want a tougher immigration policy and if that means quotas for deportation then so be it..

Speak for yourself.

If Britons as a whole want more immigration we certainly have a strange way of showing it.
Hi!
I think there is a distinction to be made between those Britons who want less immigration and those who feel that immigration as it stands is acceptable.
I did not suggest that Britons want more immigration.

Hi!
I think there is a distinction to be made between those Britons who want less immigration and those who feel that immigration as it stands is acceptable.
I did not suggest that Britons want more immigration.
Fair, there is a subtle distinction to be made there that I didn’t make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back