Six Nations 2018

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linalmeemow

Landlord.
Reaction score
So we're under way.

And Scotland were woeful, probably as bad as I've seen from them in the last few years. A real step backwards from what they've promised.

Wales were better than I was expecting. Patchell and Shingler look like real prospects. AWJ put in a decent performance too. They missed Faletau badly though, he's a fantastic player.

Looking forward to Ireland v France next...

Well to be honest me and my boys were totally shocked at the lack of basic skills shown by Scotland, to much trying to be flash. The only Scottish try came from a patch of play that resembles decent rugby.

Scotland were truly woeful today. I expected a loss and indeed, to be playing the Spaghetti Boys for the wooden spoon again on the last Saturday. Very hard to play rugby without much of a front row.

Today exceeded my worst fears by some distance. To lose a game so conclusively before a quarter of it has been played was painful to watch.

It only got worse. Dropped balls, silly penalties, no continuity, mis-firing lines-out, kicking the ball back to the opposition. Just awful. Was there a single Scot who played better than his opposite number? Maybe Hamish Watson? Maybe not.

Scotland were truly woeful today. I expected a loss and indeed, to be playing the Spaghetti Boys for the wooden spoon again on the last Saturday. Very hard to play rugby without much of a front row.

Today exceeded my worst fears by some distance. To lose a game so conclusively before a quarter of it has been played was painful to watch.

It only got worse. Dropped balls, silly penalties, no continuity, mis-firing lines-out, kicking the ball back to the opposition. Just awful. Was there a single Scot who played better than his opposite number? Maybe Hamish Watson? Maybe not.

You forgot feeding at the scrum and failing to get penalties to touch. Lots of running and back and forth across the pitch failing to make ground followed by hopeless chip and chases that invariably gave possession back to Wales. That said, the scoreline flattered Wales who were also far from good today.

Sadly missed both of today's games as I had some life admin to do and then put a Turbo cider on. I shall be in the pub tomorrow, though!

You forgot feeding at the scrum and failing to get penalties to touch. Lots of running and back and forth across the pitch failing to make ground followed by hopeless chip and chases that invariably gave possession back to Wales. That said, the scoreline flattered Wales who were also far from good today.

Yes, I did omit to mention these further shortcomings. Good of you remind me (imagine rueful looking "smiley"). As for Wales not being good, a bonus point win might be some slight consolation, mate.

Oh aye, they'll be happy enough all right. Just think the other four will be less concerned by them. France and Ireland didn't look anything special either, though given a few more games I'm sure Ireland will pull themselves together.

It was nice to see the Ref in the Wales Scotland game penalize crooked feeds in the scrum its about time , but in the French game their Ref wasn't so mindful.

It was nice to see the Ref in the Wales Scotland game penalize crooked feeds in the scrum its about time , but in the French game their Ref wasn't so mindful.
Apparently straight feeds are one of the World Rugby refs directives this year, so they're likely to get pinged frequently this tournament until the 9s wise up.

So, today's events confirmed my suspicions on the final table:

England (GS)
Ireland
France
Wales
Italy
Scotland (WS - null points)

England (GS)
Ireland
France
Wales
Italy

Interesting choices, but I can#t see Scotland getting the spoon. Today was awful but they're better then that, just look at the AIs. I think the rest of it is probably about right, maybe Wales/France and Ireland/England switched, but I doubt there'll be a GS this year.

Scotland I dont know where to start.. Wales were 20-0 up without having to do much.. They are a decent side with a lot of promise and perhaps for the first time in years considered genuine contenders.

I do not know what went wrong, It is like they embraced some hype and tried to play like they were New Zealand, its not in the DNA of our players this side of the world. Teams who beat NZ dont beat NZ trying to play like NZ, in the end it was all basketball style sloppy and getting caught isolated and then frantic defence. Wales were on the other hand very controlled and executed well in the chaos.. Surprised they didn't check the last try though looked massively like a forward pass.

I don't think there is a dumber team than France, how many really dumb penalties did they concede yesterday.

Think we really need a BP today, sets up a good match next week at Twickers.. Looking forward to seeing how Simmons goes, Billy V is a massive loss IMO genuine world class player. Hughes done quite well but hasn't replicated his Wasps form for England yet.

England (GS)
Ireland
France
Wales
Italy

I think it's Irelands year, the form in the Domestic European Cup looks good for them.. Scotland will be back.. It might actually in a warped way be a good thing what happened yesterday and a lesson to be learnt in looking after the ball..

I think England will struggle a little more this year, they looked rusty in the AIs and Domestically they are not doing so well.

That said throwing all form books out its difficult to draw conclusions from the first two games..

Wales looked very controlled and good but against a side playing suicidal rugby..
Scotland - think we already covered
Ireland - played in poor conditions couldn't score a try but picked off Frances poor discipline, that said they faded a little later on.
France - Looked pretty poor I thought stupid penalties and apart from a late streaky try never looked like winning for teh most part.

I think it's Irelands year, the form in the Domestic European Cup looks good for them.. Scotland will be back.. It might actually in a warped way be a good thing what happened yesterday and a lesson to be learnt in looking after the ball..

I think England will struggle a little more this year, they looked rusty in the AIs and Domestically they are not doing so well.

That said throwing all form books out its difficult to draw conclusions from the first two games..

Wales looked very controlled and good but against a side playing suicidal rugby..
Scotland - think we already covered
Ireland - played in poor conditions couldn't score a try but picked off Frances poor discipline, that said they faded a little later on.
France - Looked pretty poor I thought stupid penalties and apart from a late streaky try never looked like winning for teh most part.
Yes, that's a fair assessment

Its a tricky one with Scotland but what I don't want to happen is they revert to the rugby they were playing a couple of seasons ago with no attacking intent. I think they will have success in some games and I think Scotland France could be a cracker.

Very pleased with how England started considering last year was a slow start. New players didn't seem over awed and had good contributions.

Watson looks very sharp and I think should have been given the whole game at full back.

Great to see the 10-12 combo developing, I am a huge Farrell fan (stems from growing up watching Farrell Snr at Wigan) and think hes starting to show much better running rugby now.

Glad Ireland got off to a slow start, great drop goal to end the game though.

Love this time of year and can't wait for next weekend.

Its a tricky one with Scotland but what I don't want to happen is they revert to the rugby they were playing a couple of seasons ago with no attacking intent. I think they will have success in some games and I think Scotland France could be a cracker.

Very pleased with how England started considering last year was a slow start. New players didn't seem over awed and had good contributions.

Watson looks very sharp and I think should have been given the whole game at full back.

Great to see the 10-12 combo developing, I am a huge Farrell fan (stems from growing up watching Farrell Snr at Wigan) and think hes starting to show much better running rugby now.

Glad Ireland got off to a slow start, great drop goal to end the game though.

Love this time of year and can't wait for next weekend.

I also grew up watching Andy Farrell (and Jason Robinson) at Wigan. What a team they were.

England looked very, very dangerous in attack but a bit flimsy in defence though EJ will sharpen that up as the tournament goes on. Sam Simmonds was a revelation, no idea how he didn't get MotM. Having said all that I thought the scoreline flattered England a bit - Italy looked very good at times, and if the form so far is anything to go by they could well finish above Scotland.

I couldn't see the Wales v Scotland game, so difficult to know if Wales were really good, Scotland were really bad or the truth lies somewhere in between.

I saw the England game. Italy are not the pushovers they once were and England played some good stuff, but the defence looked a bit open at times.

England v Wales next weekend should be pretty tight and could go either way. Great start for Ireland though - I think they'll be the team to beat this year.

I couldn't see the Wales v Scotland game, so difficult to know if Wales were really good, Scotland were really bad or the truth lies somewhere in between.

I saw the England game. Italy are not the pushovers they once were and England played some good stuff, but the defence looked a bit open at times.

England v Wales next weekend should be pretty tight and could go either way. Great start for Ireland though - I think they'll be the team to beat this year.

Even for those who saw it, it was hard to tell with Wales.. Wales looked controlled pretty disciplined and pretty solid cut some decent lines.. Trouble is Scotland were bad but not just bad they were often suicidal looking for miracle offloads and forcing everything which when they went wrong they were caught and Wales could carve them up. Scotland defended chaotically and turnstiles. But Wales took them apart from Mistakes

A lot of people wrote Wales off before but you can never write any team off, Granted you don't expect Italy to be top 3 but you never know how teams will turn up and fare.

I hope Ben Youngs recovers well.. don't think he will be back this season

Back