Skipping dry hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all thinking of skipping the dry hop and opting to dumping them in the corny in a muslin bag
Any problems here could it block the flow
I'm thinking it will drag the beer through the hops for each pint and have a super fresh hoppy flavour

Many people have done it. There are conflicting anecdotes that I you leave hops on the beer too long you get grassy off flavours. Some say you do, some day you don't.

The generally accepted wisdom (whether correct or not! 😂) It's that all the hop flavour gets extracted within 24-48 hours and will diffuse evenly throughout your beer, so I'm not certain you'll get any extra flavour by drawing the beer through the hops. It certainly won't harm it though.

The biggest risk is clogging though, as you've mentioned.

You won’t draw the beer through the hops, if you put them in a bag in the corny they will float on top of the beer. If you weigh them down they will block the dip tube and you will have issues also if you draw beer through the hop bag you will most likely draw hop matter in small particles as well

I prefer to go for a big hopstand instead

The bag could be held in position with a PTFE coated magnet (e.g. stir bar) in the bag and another strong one on the outside of the keg. Slide it up and down to where you want it.

Could you not stick the magnet direct to the inside wall of the keg?

(If you're after strong plastic coated magnets, I got these from Amazon... They are insanely strong!)

Mm thanks it's not as easy as I think so
Looks like I'll have to go on another direction

Not sure it will work in the way you expect as my understanding is the hops steep in the beer and flavour extracted over time so you're not going to get much more hop utilisation after the initial 3 - 7 days steeping - at least at cooler temperatures anyway. Also I have read (not sure its true) that optimal temp for dry hopping is about 15 degrees C so once you're serving at lower temps I'm not sure how much flavour you're going to extract as you serve. Having said all that its worth giving it a go and seeing how it works out.

I no do all my dry hopping in a keg after fermentation has finished - so purged keg with a hop tube inside and pressure transfer beer into keg and after 3 - 7 days contact time transfer beer to another keg. I have found I get significantly better results compared to hopping directly into the fermenter. I imaging alot of the hoppy goodness is lost to trub so locking all this in within a sealed keg is beneficial. Also with no trub in the keg giving the keg a good swirl daily helps with hop utilisation. Seems to work for me anyway.

Seems alot of faff to modify filters for the dip tube. If you wanted the hops loose in the keg why not cold crash after the dry hop period and use a floating dip tube with a filter? I find no issues using a stainless steel hop tube loose int he keg..delivers all the hop aroma and flavour you may want...more than if you dry hop in the fermenter (for the same quantity of hops at least) in my experience...maybe I'd get even more utilisation if the hops were loose.

So I have one of those floating things in the keg so that it draws from the top..

For my latest Golden Ale I'm thinking of adding the Hops (leaf) in a muslin bag with a weight in it so it drops to the bottom..

Latest posts

Back