Sloe gin - jar warning.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Appleyard

Regular.
Reaction score
I wanted to make up some sloe gin, so I looked around for recipes. On the Kilner website, I found a recipe which also recommended Kilner clip-top jars (now made in China), so I bought a couple (1.8l, facetted, look nice) and proceeded.

Unfortunately the seals leaked quite badly, depositing a sticky and expensive liquid all over the place. Kilner were most unhelpful. I took the jars back to the retailer for a refund.

I have used a couple of Thermos flasks instead. I'd guess that screw-top jars would be quite OK, but I would not use clip top ones!

Got some blackcurrant gin going too. That might be nice, will have to wait & see!

When I make sloe gin or vodka I put the correct proportions of sloes, sugar and gin/vodka into screw top wine bottles. The berries are frozen so go in easily. That way periodic turning and final decanting is easy.
Your blackcurrant gin should turn out fine. For the past two years I have made redcurrant gin which is really good

I made my sloe whiskey in a plastic 2 litre bottle then transferred it to wine bottle when it was done.
Now the same sloes are making sloe port (sort of) in the same 2 litre bottle. Hopefully the whiskey flavour will work with the red wine

Kilner do two different grade seals/bottles.
One is for sauces and condiments etc. the other more suited to brewing/infusing spirits...

Yes. This sort is actually recommended (and pictured) on the blog where the recipe is, which is the only reason I bought jars of that brand. Having a) paid over the odds for an offshore Chinese manufactured product on the strength of the previously good name; b) having expended effort on buying the wretched things; c) having an expensive sticky mess deposited on my shelves and floor; d) having been given a contemptuous brush-off by their customer services, I was NOT a happy bunny. Although I was hopping..... never again!

I will take heed of the previous advice on bottles, since I still have enough berries for 4 litres (have to be for next Christmas).

Back