Sloe Wine - ferment on the pulp or not?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBigWoo

Reaction score
Hello folks, new member here.
I'm in my second season of wine making and have ramped up production somewhat this year, making bigger batches of the ones that were successful last year. (I'm still experimenting with smaller new batches though.)
With my blackberry and elderberry I've started the initial fermentation on the pulp, for the plum and damson wines I've left for 5 days to a week and strained before adding the yeast. I'm pretty sure I strained my sloe wine last year before adding the yeast too, but unfortunately my record keeping last year wasn't really up to scratch so I can't say for sure, silly me!
Just finished the last bottle from last years batch and it was lovely, I'm keen to make a bigger batch and put some away for a few years to mature. The ground work is done and I've 15 kilos of sloes in the freezer, enough for maybe 60 bottles?
So the question is really, do I ferment on the pulp as per the blackberry and elderberry, or do I leave for a week or so before straining and adding the yeast?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Niall

We always do the latter though I'm not sure why we add wine yeast when by then it's always fizzing away like crazy from wild yeasts.

Thanks Cwrw666.
I'll add the yeast after straining then.

8Kg Sloes
6.5Kg Sugar
500ml Red Grape Concentrate
5 Lemons
Pectic enzyme
Nutrient
Lalvin RC212 yeast

Should get me 30 Bottles or so.

I'll maybe try a demijohn of something similar with the initial fermentation on the pulp just to see if there is any noticeable difference.

Latest posts

Back