Sloe wine recipe please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janulka098

Reaction score
I was wondering whether somebody has a good sloe wine recipe. Found wonderful few bushes on my walk, sloes the size of grapes and recon will be ready in few weeks ( even though they Normally need till end of October - checked them out and they squishy and I am able to eat one....)

thought 2kg sloes plus Camden tab
1kg sugar
either - And water to cover and leave for a week to steep before squeezing
or - leave for day then mush up sloes and add yeast and nutrient and strain of pulp after a week?
not sure which way is better?
thank you very much

If they're the size of grapes then they're not sloes. Bullaces most likely. You'll notice there are no thorns on the thing.
But you can still make a good sloe wine from them if you can find some actual sloes. If not the wine is more plummy.
I usually make sloe wine with a mixture of sloes and bullaces (which makes picking an awful lot quicker!) It's very good. Last time I just used bullaces and it's not nearly as good.

Basic recipe:
4Lb fruit
Pour on boiling water and leave it in the FV for a week. By then it'll be autofermenting, strain off the fruit, add the sugar, add some wine yeast and that's it.

so many different wild plumish species! These however definitely had thorns on (tried it out when dived in for a juicy one to try it :) - still puckers your face but nor so much you not able to actually eat it. Perhaps my description of big as grapes was a bit over the top :) maybe max 1.5 cm? There were other bushes with smaller ones ( these were still super Mouth puckers....) Are bullaces different colours? Think have those as well In the fields - some red, purple and yellow. Little round balls, bigger than sloe.

never tried wild yeast, but my family used to own vineyard and my dad still makes wine from few vines growing round their garden and I know he never uses any yeast to start his must but whatever comes with the fruit :) - was a bit worried about it myself but will try it now.
thank you, will try this in few weeks when they ripen more.
done quite few gallons of blackberry/elderberry which are now being left alone in demijohns and got more demis empty so will try sloe next, sounds easy!
thank you very much

Brewbitz has a recipe for sloe wine. I made it two years ago, a unique flavour. Still have 5 bottles so need to try now it is older. Search Google or YouTube 🍻

Brewbitz has a recipe for sloe wine. I made it two years ago, a unique flavour. Still have 5 bottles so need to try now it is older. Search Google or YouTube 🍻
Thank you, had a look at this :), scary with the mould top! Perhaps will try as experiment if I get loads of sloe berries

This is my Recipe from 2018 turned out pretty good.

8kg sloes defrosted overnight (25/10/2018)
12.5L boiling water added.
Sloes crushed with hands
6.5kg sugar disolved in 4L water
5 Lemons (Zest & Juice)
1 Tablespoon Citric Acid
500ml Vin Classe Red Grape Juice Concentrate
3 Teaspoons Nutrient
3 Teaspoons Pectalose
OG - 1100 FG 993 ABV 14%
Strained through jelly bag and sieve. - 20 Litres of must
2 x Gervin G2 yeast added 31/10/2018

I did one a couple days ago that was 1.5kg sloes and randomly 300g damsons (I only added them to clear a space in the freezer)
250g sultanas
1.1kg sugar
No acid or tannin as I hear sloes have a lot of both.
Usual suspects
Ferment on pulp for 1 week
Etc

Was that the one with the thick mould skin on top..??? looked disgusting but he said it adds flavour. Got some Sloes last Autumn so thinking of using his recipe what do you think?🤔🤔

Sloe.JPG

Courtesy of CJJ Berry

Back