Sloes go with ? Suggestions please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill W

Reaction score
I've been given 800 grams of frozen sloes that someone picked last autumn and didn't get round to making sloe gin. Not enogh to make a gallon of sloe wine on their own, but with a similar amont of "other" fruit, might be good. I'm thinking it would probably want to be something on the red spectrum.
Any thoughts, suggestions or personal experiences warmly welcomed.

Elderberries and blackberries, though I don't know where you'd get them at this time of year. Maybe add them to a bag of frozen mixed berries?
I think we might have a bag of those mixed summer berries lurking in the freezer. I think I'll see if I can find frozen blackberries at the shops.

An Italian liqueur recioe with sloes
http://www.piacenzantica.it/page.php?270""

Interesting! I'm not sure where I'd get hold of 90% pure alcohol though. Perish the thoght that I should engage in such nefarious activity as distilling some sugar wash. :D

Edit: Just reread and it's 90 degrees, which is 45% ABV. Probably get away with using a strong vodka. Phew! The still I inherited can continue to gather dust.

Interesting! I'm not sure where I'd get hold of 90% pure alcohol though. Perish the thoght that I should engage in such nefarious activity as distilling some sugar wash. :D

Edit: Just reread and it's 90 degrees, which is 45% ABV. Probably get away with using a strong vodka. Phew! The still I inherited can continue to gather dust.

That's 95% absolute, available in supermarkets in Italy and is used to make various infusions (the sloes, sugar, wine and water additions dilute the alcohol to the minimum 28%). I suppose it would be impossible to sell in Britain without it being abused.

Latest posts

Back