Slow RO

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeH

Insert Witty Comment Here
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
I am not an expert in this at all but from when I looked at it (and tried it with a smaller system) the conclusion was that RO systems don't work very well with hard water without a softening stage first.

I think it will depend on your water pressure firstly. I think if the water is very cold as it would be now, it will also be a lot slower.

I recently got a 3 stage system (50gpd) and I only get 2.5l an hour at the moment. I just leave it on the day before and usually mix with tap unless making a lager.

That TDS isn’t great for a new filter. But then it’s still ideal for brewing 🍺

Mine is really slow in the cold weather. Used for my reef tank. Is your TDS after the membrane as that seems really high if it is. My 100gpd unit takes about 40-45mins to produce 25l of rodi water if that helps. In summer its approx 30 mins.

That TDS isn’t great for a new filter. But then it’s still ideal for brewing 🍺
I read the TDS of 250 as being before going through the system (ie the starting point)?

I think the GDP figure is for water at 20c. As water cools the holes in the membrane shrink and therefore the water passes more slowly.

Latest posts

Back