Slurry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just Jared this, it's gervin gv12,? It's in the fridge when I come to brew do I just use a sanitised spoon and how much for 23L never tried this before thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20200202_113017.jpg
    IMG_20200202_113017.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 190
Once it's settled you'll probably end up with about half a jar of yeast and half a jar of beer sat on top. If you're using in in the next couple of weeks take it out the fridge a couple of hours before pitching then pour off the beer, give it a good swirl and dump the whole lot in - I've been using this method successfully for a couple of years now. I'm sure someone with far greater scientific knowledge then me will explain why this is a bad idea though!

In a pinch I've used this method with yeast that's been in the fridge for 6+ months and it's still gone off like a rocket in a few hours.

Exactly what I do Just pour off the beer on top and dump it in. The only thing which I do not know if it is true is they say do not use the yeast from a darker beer for a lighter one, I am sure I have in the past but can not remember and did not document it if I did
Ps I think this also applies to very hoppy beers to lighter hopped beers too?

I usually pour off any liquid then put in between a half and one cup. I don't measure. I let it warm up an hour or so before pitching.

Usually takes off like a rocket.

All the Best,
D. White

If you let it settle for a day or so you will discover three layers.

The top will be a liquid. This is the beer and it will be sat on top of two layers of yeast.

The top layer of yeast is lighter in colour and normally thinner that the one at the bottom. These are the live yeast cells.

The bottom layer will be darker in colour. They are the dead yeast cells.

If you pour off the liquid and then take a sanitised spoon you can recover just the live yeast cells. These can be saved in a clean and sanitised jar, stored in the fridge (and save a lot of space) for up to six months and used either direct or to make a yeast starter for the next brew.

Hope this helps.

It's always going to be guesswork when repitching slurry but you can probably estimate about 1 billion cells per ml, so 200ml of thick slurry should be enough for a standard batch.

No don't go for it it is standard practice I do it whenever possible as long as you do not leave it too long between brews

If you let it settle for a day or so you will discover three layers.

The top will be a liquid. This is the beer and it will be sat on top of two layers of yeast.

The top layer of yeast is lighter in colour and normally thinner that the one at the bottom. These are the live yeast cells.

The bottom layer will be darker in colour. They are the dead yeast cells.

If you pour off the liquid and then take a sanitised spoon you can recover just the live yeast cells. These can be saved in a clean and sanitised jar, stored in the fridge (and save a lot of space) for up to six months and used either direct or to make a yeast starter for the next brew.

Hope this helps.

Can dead yeast cells not function as nutrition?

Used in small amounts yes,Too much will lead to off flavours.
Also its best to harvest yeast at the start of fermentation,(After the lag period)They are full of beans at this point.

Spreading the yeast slurry on the soil is how the French over many years got there much admired local strains.

I might just bin it and use a packet of us-05 athumb..
Hey, only joking everybody. The slurry I was referring to is "purin"- a fine and very nutritious mixture of cow (or pig, but that's restricted)) dung and urine. It's not yeast slurry at all.
Last time I used US-05 I forgot to top crop it and ran the "slurry" into a 250 ml flask. I've divided this up over three brews and have not been disappointed. Today's brew is fermenting away after 4 hours in the fermenter! I shall certainly do this again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back