Smack Pack Wyeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerbrews

Regular.
Reaction score
Looking for a wee bit of help please.
Planning on doing a Single Hop Nelson Sauvin Ale and Single Hop EKG Ale today, but discovered that only ordered 1 of these packs of yeast instead of 2.
Questions are: Has anyone used these before and if so what did you think?
And what do do think about using half for each of my brews?
Should have said both will be Extract and hop recipes not AG.
Cheers

If both brews are low abv and the smack pack is super fresh (< 1 month old), then it could be ok. Personally I would err on the side of caution and make a starter.

The pack is v fresh; but yes I think your suggestion of a starter is a good idea. The recipes are the extract variations from Greg Hughes book.
thanks

You don't say what your wort volumes are or your OG. But I wouldn't split one pack between two 5 gallon batches of usual Hb OG's. Make a starter to be on the safe side.

If they are 5 gallon you probably want to make 2 starters and split the pack. Or a big starter and split that across the batches.

ok so made a big starter and pitched in both.
But has anyone used these packs before? And are they any good?

I use them a lot and really like them. I think most people in UK use White Labs, but I think that is only because it is more widely available, Wyeast is just as good and it is becoming easier to get. They make my favourite yeast, 3711 - French saison which doesn't have a White Labs equivalent.

Just bear in mind that the pouch in the smack packs is not intended to replace a starter, which is a common misconception. It is simply a nutrient pouch to kick start the yeast's metabolism and reduce lag times, it doesn't increase cell count.

I too can vouch that the Wyeast smack packs are great and have always worked well for me in terms of fermentation.
Unfortunately I cant help with the suggestion of splitting the pack across the 2 recipes which im guessing are 23L as are all of his recipes.

Yeah, I used their American Ale II and it turned out great. I made a starter, split it, and decanted the spent wort. I still have some in the fridge so whenever I want that yeast I take some, make another starter with it and I'm good to go.

I use them a lot and really like them. I think most people in UK use White Labs, but I think that is only because it is more widely available, Wyeast is just as good and it is becoming easier to get. They make my favourite yeast, 3711 - French saison which doesn't have a White Labs equivalent.

Just bear in mind that the pouch in the smack packs is not intended to replace a starter, which is a common misconception. It is simply a nutrient pouch to kick start the yeast's metabolism and reduce lag times, it doesn't increase cell count.

I use wyeast a lot aswell.
The great thing about smack packs, iether making a starter or direct pitching you know the yeast is viable before you pitch by the inflated pack.

I use wyeast a lot aswell.
The great thing about smack packs, iether making a starter or direct pitching you know the yeast is viable before you pitch by the inflated pack.

That's true, though I've had one or two which didn't swell at all but still fermented ok, the Ringwood yeast for example which can be a bit sluggish.

That's true, though I've had one or two which didn't swell at all but still fermented ok, the Ringwood yeast for example which can be a bit sluggish.

Aha thats what happened to me. I have had 2 that have not swelled. The first with Ringwood but beer came out fine. Well amazing to be honest. Second time with a Bavarian yeast the starter never really took off and i ditched it. Could of been out of date, not really sure why but great range of yeast.

Latest posts

Back