Small Batch Experiments

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmBeer

Brew Pub Brewer
Reaction score
I'm still quite new to home brewing, but have had several decent results from kits, some of which I have pimped.
I am keen to try some of the more advanced techniques, but don't have the equipment available at present to take this too far. I do however have a couple of demijohns, bought with the intention of making some loganberry wine once my bushes bear fruit in a month or so. I was thinking of doing some small batches of malt extract brews, using a single hop to get a better feel of the characteristics of each variety without making 40 pints at a time.
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for experimenting in this way? I would very much appreciate your input.

I'm still quite new to home brewing, but have had several decent results from kits, some of which I have pimped.
I am keen to try some of the more advanced techniques, but don't have the equipment available at present to take this too far. I do however have a couple of demijohns, bought with the intention of making some loganberry wine once my bushes bear fruit in a month or so. I was thinking of doing some small batches of malt extract brews, using a single hop to get a better feel of the characteristics of each variety without making 40 pints at a time.
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for experimenting in this way? I would very much appreciate your input.
Hiya,
any chance of making your script a tad bigger as poor old b#####s like me have a job to read it:lol:
Yup easy peasy lemon squezy.You can do it on your stove top with a decent size pan,say 5 litres,not expensive.
You can use either spray malt,ie dried powder or liquid malt or combo of both.I did a brew with just spraymalt and some hops and it was actually not a bad drink,bit bland but certainly better than a one can kit. To make it even better you can add grains and steep them for 30 minutes to add more colour and some flavours.
I do mostly biab brews or partial mashes but still throw in some 5 litre extract brews,some of which are pretty damn good even if i do say so myself:lol:.
Plenty of advice on here.
If you want a few 5 litre recipies you are welcome to message me,easier than sitting here trying to keep up and type them out on the forum.

Hopefully I have fixed the font size problems. Thanks for the advice, I can use a pressure cooker as a 5 l pot (without the pressure lid). I might start playing this weekend, a number of packs of hops in the freezer.

Before I built my kit up a bit I used to do small batch brew. What I found was more, maybe not beneficial but certainly worthwhile, was doing a 10L batch instead of a 5Litre batch. Split the batch, keep 5L as the recipe I'd brewed and then expiriment with dry hopping the other 5L. I just found that with 5Litrs it's such a lot of mess, time etc, for such a small a mount of beer. You can a decent 15L pot off eBay or the likes for about £30-£40. This is what I still use for doing All Grain. I'm not a fan of doing 40 pints worth of beer.

Before I built my kit up a bit I used to do small batch brew. What I found was more, maybe not beneficial but certainly worthwhile, was doing a 10L batch instead of a 5Litre batch. Split the batch, keep 5L as the recipe I'd brewed and then expiriment with dry hopping the other 5L. I just found that with 5Litrs it's such a lot of mess, time etc, for such a small a mount of beer. You can a decent 15L pot off eBay or the likes for about �£30-�£40. This is what I still use for doing All Grain. I'm not a fan of doing 40 pints worth of beer.

The wilko 12L pot is actually 15L to the brim and about £18

Latest posts

Back