Small batch in a Burco/Cygnet boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rento

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve got a 30l Cygnet boiler I use for BIAB, the smallest batch I currently do is 10l. I’m thinking about doing some 5l batches for experimenting, does anyone do that in this size of boiler? Other than the Temp likely cooling quickly when mashing and a high boil off rate anything else I should consider?

I was thinking about maybe getting a 10l Cygnet or Swam boiler, does anyone have experience with them? Do they keep a rolling boil similar to the 30l Cygnet?

Also, any issues with fermenting 5l in a standard 30l bucket?

Thanks

R

Hi,

I’ve got a 30l Cygnet boiler I use for BIAB, the smallest batch I currently do is 10l. I’m thinking about doing some 5l batches for experimenting, does anyone do that in this size of boiler? Other than the Temp likely cooling quickly when mashing and a high boil off rate anything else I should consider?

I was thinking about maybe getting a 10l Cygnet or Swam boiler, does anyone have experience with them? Do they keep a rolling boil similar to the 30l Cygnet?

Also, any issues with fermenting 5l in a standard 30l bucket?

Thanks

R
I have no experience at all with regard to cygnet boilers

But as my father-in-law used to say "What'll hold a lot will hold a little"

5ls in a 30l bucket will be fine

The only thing I would think is that the percentage waste is higher with smaller batches. That 1litre you leave behind in the bottom of the boiler goes from 4% to nearly 20% of your wort.

If you only get 5l to ferment, maybe there are smaller vessels you could use rather than a 30l bin, just for convenience if nothing else. (Eg I would use my 12l stainless steel stock pot as fv or a 10l plastic bucket with lid)

The only thing I would think is that the percentage waste is higher with smaller batches. That 1litre you leave behind in the bottom of the boiler goes from 4% to nearly 20% of your wort.

I usually just run the whole lot into the FV 🙄….I guess it’s just a case of giving it a bash….not a lot to loose really as its such a small batch!

Latest posts

Back