Small Batch Irish Stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racehunter

Reaction score
Having always said, 'I am not really a stout drinker', before Christmas I brewed a stout, mainly to give to a neighbour. This was based on a Coopers Irish Stout kit but pimped as per suggestions from @terrym.

Well all I can say is that my neighbour didn't end up with too many bottles as I found it bl###y luverly. Anyway, I am now moving away from kits and brewing small batch all-grain beers (around 10 to 11.5L), so thought a stout should be one of the next to do, so I am looking for ideas as to grains/recipe for such a brew. The pimped kit has espresso coffee added amongst other things and had a really nice roast coffee hint, which I would like to include in the all-grain stout. I suppose that roastiness comes from roast grains?

I realise that there are a number of Irish Stout recipes on sites such as Brewfather, but I would really appreciate a bit of help from someone who has done such a brew. By the way, the brew would ideally be done as a no-sparge BIAB in my 19L stockpot.

Thanks

This was my very simple first try at a stout. I was pleasantly surprised with it and it only required buying some roasted barley. I can't remember the hop rate but I used up the end of a bag of Amarillo just one addition at 60 minutes and it was about 30IBU I guess.

80% pale malt
15% roasted malt
5% oats

S33 yeast because it's what I had.

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

Thanks for that. Simple enough especially as I have plenty of pale malt. I take it the oats were just good old rolled oats?

I find a bit of chocolate malt (up to 7 or 8%) will add some rich (but not burnt) flavours. Brown malt (same proportions) will give you coffee notes. Personally I go easy on the roasted barley, it can mask the other tastes. That might not be strictly an Irish stout but wtf.

I find a bit of chocolate malt (up to 7 or 8%) will add some rich (but not burnt) flavours. Brown malt (same proportions) will give you coffee notes. Personally I go easy on the roasted barley, it can mask the other tastes. That might not be strictly an Irish stout but wtf.
I did wonder about the roasted barley as I am sure I read somewhere that a maximum of 10% of the total grain bill was suggested. Anyway, I will play around with grains and amounts on Brewfather and see what I get.

After a bit of a play on Brewfather, I have decided to go with 80% Maris Otter, 8% Roasted Barley, 5% Brown Malt and 5% Oats. Hops will be EKG to give around 31 IBU.

Hope it turns out OK

Good luck, sounds fine.
Yeah my recipe was just very simple hence only using roasted but it still made a nice beer even at 15% roasted. I made it again last night, so far so good.

This is my converted 19 litre recipe taken from the bible it tasted great with no negative feedback on body or flavour
Grain Bill
Pale Malt 3817g
Rolled Oats 227g
Medium Crystal 182g
Chocolate Malt 146g
Roasted Barley 64g

Hops

Challenger 35.5g at 60 minutes
Challenger 14.5g at Flame Out
Styrian Golding 14.5g at Flame Out

Protfloc at 15 Minutes

Looks nice that does, so I assume that for a ten litre batch just half all ingredients listed in you recipe and use a full 11gr pack of dry yeast, what would you advise to use , normally use notty or s04 for stout but some say s05 is also good 👍😄

Last night I had the first sample of a Guinness clone from the Wheeler book, really simple recipe with just a single Target hop addition for bitterness (45 IBU), I pimped it a little by upping the grain to take it up to 4.5% ABV and wow it is good: I'm also not really a stout drinker but this one has surprised me. I did it as a BIAB in my 15L stockpot, I added 1kg DME so that I could brew a bigger volume (17L), can dig out the recipe if you like?

Last night I had the first sample of a Guinness clone from the Wheeler book, really simple recipe with just a single Target hop addition for bitterness (45 IBU), I pimped it a little by upping the grain to take it up to 4.5% ABV and wow it is good: I'm also not really a stout drinker but this one has surprised me. I did it as a BIAB in my 15L stockpot, I added 1kg DME so that I could brew a bigger volume (17L), can dig out the recipe if you like?
Hi Darrellm,

I would really be interested to see the recipe. I have enough grain (I think) to experiment a bit, which is all part of the fun. Thanks

Here you go, I've adjusted it for 11L and removed the DME addition that I used. You may want to plug it into some brewing software with the AA of the hops you have to hit the 45 IBU bitterness. I added a little black malt to darken it a bit more, but it's not really necessary. Chances are your efficiency will be different to mine (68%) but it's a good place to start so just crack on :cool:

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 11.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 32.6 (EBC): 64.1
Bitterness (IBU): 45.47 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 68
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.078 kg Maris Otter Malt (81.15%)
0.244 kg Flaked Barley (9.55%)
0.226 kg Roasted Barley (8.83%)
0.012 kg Black Malt (0.48%)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Target Leaf (12.85% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)

Anyway, I am now moving away from kits and brewing small batch all-grain beers (around 10 to 11.5L), so thought a stout should be one of the next to do, so I am looking for ideas as to grains/recipe for such a brew.
This is my small batch Milk Stout. If I say so myself, it's prob one of the best I've brewed.

I do not really know the difference between Irish and Milk, but it has a nice mouthfeel and a bit of bitterness from the roast.

You may find it useful for your investigation.

Good luck.

Hi is the recipe from brew your own British real ales ? If it is I brewed it years ago placed the stout in a king keg and found and bought a plastic stout tap the brew came out a1 and was even better pouring with the stout tap sadly I carnt find another stout tap

I am brewing a small batch of Fisherman's Stout, from the Recipe folder (transferred into demi-johns today and looking good), and intend to run a comparison with DekH's recipe upthread, which I plan to start tomorrow, and darrellm's, which will next on the list. Thinking I'll use the same yeast on all three.

Brew day was yesterday and all seemed to go well.

I mashed with only 14L (instead of the 15.6L from Brewfather calcs) as I had an issue with my stockpot leaking through a handle rivet last time, knowing I could liquor back into the FV.

80% Maris Otter, 8% Roasted Barley, 7% Brown Malt & 5% Flaked Oats. Mashed at 66C for 60 minutes, then big squeeze time of the bag, leaving around 12.5L in the pot. 27g of EKG pellets at 60 minutes and decided to follow a no-chill method overnight. I have just transferred to the FV and had to add 2L of water to make up to the 11L target. SG was bang on the 1.048 predicted athumb.. so added the CML Midland yeast and into the water bath it has gone. Hoping for good things from this one.

First taste of mine today using the grain bill I posted above and 4.5% ish ABV

Just about ready for St Patrick's Day, 9 days in the FV and 5 days in the bottle, turned out nice and drinkable and doesn't get any simpler. Lot of roasted so good if you like strong coffee haha

20210317_201712.jpg

So, 12 days in the FV and a quick gravity reading tonight. Predicted to go to 1.012 but currently at 1.015. I would have thought, after 12 days it should be virtually done 🤔 Anyway, I will take another reading tomorrow and see were we are. If it's still at 1.015, would it be worth a quick stir to see if I can wake the yeasties?

I'm drinking an exploratory pint of the Fisherman's Stout, and I'm really pleased with it. It's only been bottled about ten days, and I intend to leave it now for another couple of weeks, but it tastes good already and will surely improve. :beer1:

Latest posts

Back