Small Batch Recipe Ideas - Ale Yeast and Pale Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntComo

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have a couple of 5 gallon batches bubbling away and as much as I want to have a lot of great home-brew around, I need to reign it in a bit to avoid having too much to drink.

I was talking to my girlfriend this morning and we saw a recipe for ginger beer - which she loves - and I'd just need to pick up a 5L demijohn and a few ingredients. It's a fun option for my next brew, and I don't have to spend too much money.

The recipe is here https://www.thehopandgrain.com.au/brew-ginger-beer/

However from the supplies I buy I'll be left with around 750g of pale DME (if buying by the kilo) and half a packet of ale yeast.

So I want to be efficient about things and I'm thinking - if I grab myself a second 5L demijohn (€7 or so, not bad at all) I could experiement with a small batch of something else.

But I've no idea where to start as I've only previously brewed kits. What kind of beer should I look into to make use of this light DME and ale yeast that won't require too many more ingredients?

I'm open to any style - ideally a 5L batch and some pointers on any calculators I might need to convert the amounts if necessary.

Thank you!

I would have thought a simple SMASH recipe ( single malt and single hop) would suit you - I do a lot of small batches, usually making just enough for x2 mini-kegs. Here is a link to a recipe I took from Graham Wheeler's CAMRA book that might work - it doesnt use DME, but you could add a bit for some more ABV - and of course it is great for priming.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/759157/carolines-fine-ale

(P.S. you can of course also use malt extract if not doing the full all grain thing ... )

Thanks guys! It seems the recipe Terry mentioned would work for the ingredients left over, I'll just need to grab a few hops.

If you are using malt extract as a basis to brew from using hops in a boil its called extract brewing, more on that here.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/a-simple-guide-to-extract-brewing.75501/
Post 13 in that thread gives a basic SMASH recipe using Goldings. There are also a few other ideas in there too.

Am I right that this produces 12L? So to make just shy of a 5L batch I can multiply all the ingredients by 0.4?

In this case how much yeast would I need? Would the half packet of ale yeast left over from the ginger ale do the trick? (I think it's 11g so I'll have about 6g remaining).

Thanks guys! It seems the recipe Terry mentioned would work for the ingredients left over, I'll just need to grab a few hops.

Am I right that this produces 12L? So to make just shy of a 5L batch I can multiply all the ingredients by 0.4?

In this case how much yeast would I need? Would the half packet of ale yeast left over from the ginger ale do the trick? (I think it's 11g so I'll have about 6g remaining).
Yes, an approx scale down from 12 to 5 litres or slightly less would be 0.4. If you intend to buy some hops, come back with the %AA quoted on the packet and the forum can advise on the exact quantitiesyou will require but it will be no more than 50g total if using Goldings/EKG. Otherwise do you already have some hops? If so tell us what they are, how much, whether pellets or whole leaf and the %AA. Your half packet of yeast will do fine, in fact its more than enough.

Latest posts

Back