Small batches and yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Returning to brewing after a break, just brewed 23 ltr of Hobgoblin clone at weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed the brew day, but found lugging stuff around a bit arduous, getting on in years now!
Seriously thinking of going to smaller volumes, which would help in many ways, half batches = less weight to throw around, less bottling eitc, but being retired, extra brew days not a problem.

The only thing I'm wondering is (in particular) yeast, only using half a small pack per brew, so saving the rest? I've baked bread for years, the dried yeast is just stored in the fridge in a sealed container, reactivate it and away it goes! Anyone doing small batches store yeast at all?

Particularly interested having a go with the Kveik yeasts, they are new to me, but sound promising, particularly brewing in summer temperatures!

I currently do 10L batches, stovetop BIAB.

I've just started using the same method as @MyQul after reading his posts. I put 1 gram of dry yeast into 500-600ml starter and the rest of the yeast goes in the freezer. I've only done two batches using this method so far but both took off like a rocket once I pitched the starter in!

The man himself might be able to elaborate some more!

I currently do 10L batches, stovetop BIAB.

I've just started using the same method as @MyQul after reading his posts. I put 1 gram of dry yeast into 500-600ml starter and the rest of the yeast goes in the freezer. I've only done two batches using this method so far but both took off like a rocket once I pitched the starter in!

The man himself might be able to elaborate some more!

Nothing more to it really. Thats exactly what I do athumb..

Thanks gents, will just freeze the spare yeast, along with the spare hops thumb

Back