Small batches??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Challenger SMASH is going like a train and is bubbling out of the airlock.
2nd up I'd going to be a Mild as suggested by Terrym. Then another bitter later today with EKG.
The good thing about a 5l batch is it seems to encourage me to try more.
Think the demijohns will all be filled at this rate.

I do 10L batches. I have a bitter fermenting at the moment using CML boir and want to repitch a load of the trub into the following brew. So I think Im going to do a mild. I also like and want to try out @terrym 's suggestion of the dark muscavado sugar as I was going to use golden syrup but the sugar sounds a much better idea for a mild

Recipe for Sarah Hughes mild
23 litres
5110g pale malt
900g crystal malt
31g fuggles start of boil
26g EKG start of boil
19g fuggles last 10 minutes
OG 1058
ABV 5.7%

Not sure we're talking about the same beer. I meant this one:
But I see they've stopped calling it Mild. The bottles, on the other hand, of the same strength do call it Dark Ruby Mild. Anybody had this, by the way? I've had it a couple of times and can't remember what it tasted like. Probably had too many!

Its Not one I have seen in the pubs or in bottles unfortunately, I’ve made a clone using the Graham Wheeler recipe which if memory recalls is pretty close to the one above posted by Cheshire Cat, it’s a really enjoyable pint, and very easy to drink.

A wee while ago, I tried an experimental mash using a large teapot, using about 600g of malt and whatever the volume of the pot is. I did this twice and ended up with some wort for yeast propagation and about 4.5 litres that I boiled up with some of last year's First Gold hops, fermented it in a DJ and whacked it into bottles.

I think it may have been the best beer I've brewed in 30 years!

On continued clear out of huts (corona lockdown boredom) found 2 more demijohns. Think they must have been breeding. Only problem is that I have no more bungs or airlocks, and made a big order from Geterbrewed on Wednesday.
Anyway, the small brews are all fermenting well. Don't know if it's just because you can see them but the fermentation seems more vigorous than in a plastic bucket.
Certainly enjoying the experimenting so far.

On continued clear out of huts (corona lockdown boredom) found 2 more demijohns. Think they must have been breeding. Only problem is that I have no more bungs or airlocks, and made a big order from Geterbrewed on Wednesday.

You dont need bungs and airlocks. Just cover the DJ's with tin foil (make sure you sanitise the foil as condensation with collect on it and drip back into your wort). I use a DJ for my starters and use tin foil. For my main brews (10L) I just cover the FV with cling film held on with an elastic band

Or you could get some small or medium sized freezer bags and fasten it with an elastic band. That way you can see it's fermenting because it fills with gas.

Planning on doing a split batch into two demijohn's to test the difference between 2 yeasts. Realistically, allowing room for the yeast to go a bit mental, can you get 5L in a demijohn, or is it more like 4?

I think a traditional demijohn is close to 5l right at the top of the neck. 4l is a safe bet with a fast acting yeast.

I fancy doing a split batch too this weekend. I think I have 9 demijohns tucked away somewhere of which at least 5 will need a serious bleaching.

Anyway, the small brews are all fermenting well. Don't know if it's just because you can see them but the fermentation seems more vigorous than in a plastic bucket.
Certainly enjoying the experimenting so far.

How long is delivery taking from GEB these days? I need a couple of new FVs and an AG kit.

I fancy doing a split batch too this weekend. I think I have 9 demijohns tucked away somewhere of which at least 5 will need a serious bleaching.
The Great thing about glass is that you can hammer it with bleach and stuff and guarantee that you will be able to get any taint off fairly easily.

The small brews experience is continuing.
Have started a Cascade SMASH and James Morton's Oatmeal Extra Pale Ale.
All the others have been bottled and are conditioning. Must say have been enjoying doing the small batches but this will all change soon as I am awaiting delivery of a Robobrew!!!!

Ok , so the Challenger SMASH which was Coniston Bluebird clone I found, was fantastic. Afraid to say , or not, all 8 bottles have gone. Not all by me, out to pals to test. Everyone liked it even though could probably have been left longer.
Now going to make a larger one .
Just shows that a wee experiment can be good for the taste buds.

Latest posts

Back