Smallest size mash tun with bazooka screen?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krystian Williams

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing using a 2 gallon mash tun for 1 gallon batches. I'd like to fit a bazooka screen to my mash tun. Is it too small for this?

Thanks

Your grain requires approximately 2.5 litres of water per kg in the mash tun. You will lose approximately 1 litre per kg,your sparge will make up your boil volume,your boil volume minus boil off and any kettle loss will give fermentor volume.
Work it out...
As for the Bazooka...maybe..

Welcome to the Forum.

As Clint says, you need to work it out. I would do it this way:
  1. What is the greatest ABV % required?
  2. How much grain (in kilos) will that require?
  3. Grain in Kilos x 1.6 (*) x 2.5 (**) = Minimum Volume (in Litres) of Mash Tun.
When the minimum volume is calculated then the method of filtration can be decided upon.

In my own Mash Tun (a 7 gallon - 32 litre Cool-box) I use ordinary copper pipes with 1mm holes drilled into them; as per the photograph.

Mash Tun.jpg

(*) 1kg of Barley = +/- 1.6 litres of volume.

(**) Clints recommended Litres of Strike Water.

Last edited:
I have a small mash tun and I use a bag in it rather than a bazooka. Super easy to lift it out after for running off and a doddle to clean. Cheap too. Maybe an alternative?
IMG_20170702_215402_378.jpg

Thanks for the replies and advice guys. Not sure why but I'm not keen on BIAB. However, I might give that a go and see how I feel about it before looking at a bazooka or manifold.

Latest posts

Back